Range Rovers Forum banner

Is this a good deal? Trading MY 06 for 10

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  acole10000 
#1 ·
Have an 06 Java Black HSE 34K , warranty until 9/10. I owe $37,000. They are willing to pay me $32,000. However they are willing to give me $5,000 off MSRP on the HSE. It is a White, Almond Lux , Sirrius, Digi Radio , and Type 2 Stormer Wheels. What's odd, LR states the stormer wheel option is a $2500 upgrade on the site. They are showing it on the window sticker as $1000 ... so don't know if that makes the deal any better. I am going to drive it now. My credit union is doing 6 years at 3.25% which seems good as well. I can only get a loan through them b/c my income on paper is horrible. I own a business and have been taking as little as possible and paying myself back the loan I made to myself to start the company. So, they payroll deduct and really know what my 1099 is. They said they would also do 5K off sticker for a straight buy as well. I am wondering if I should wait it out and see how huch I could sell my 06' for. Seems that a lot are for sale right now. Any input?

#2 ·
Sounds like a great deal to me, I was told that they overproduced the 2009 models and there is a glut of them and there is a shortage on the underproduced the 2010 models. It seems like a large discount this early on a revised model year. My dealer offered me $3,000 of MSRP and 30K on my 2006 RRS HSE w/ 35,000 miles.

BTW - Where are you getting this great deal from?

#5 ·
Drevs said:
Maybe I'm missing something. What's wrong with the '06?
Also, why take on additional "pleasure debt" when your current debt service is substantial?
I have to concur. Why not get the business and/or the '06 paid off, then get the new car? Conserve the ability to use personal leverage to grow your business until it can borrow money by itself. And anyway when the 201X's come out they'll be even better than the 2010's.

Also, I'm sure you have looked into this, but just in case, do you have the kind of business that allows you to deduct the use of the car to get some tax benefit on the rather hefty payment you have left on the '06?

#7 ·
Mark_CT said:
I would keep what you have now.
I would buy one more year extended warranty and look at getting a new 2012.
I don't know about the 2012 thing. Look at this article from 2008 below. Looks like it's right on and we don't see a brand new Sport until 2014. Good for all of us 2010 buyers! Get the 2010. It's one heck of a machine! (As I wait, and wait, and wait... :lol: )

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jaguar-land ... -tata.html

#9 ·
Nope. My Dad. (I'm 32 with my own career, not just a spoiled kid posting here.) I showed him the details online and ordered it for him. I'm actually kind of mad about it because it was ordered during the 2010 Reveal Party (August 29th) at our dealership. I went over everything with the store manager and thought the order was in. The car was said to come in this month (November). Well, I stopped at the dealership to look at the new LR4 they just recieved and he said, "You ready to get that Sport ordered?" This was on October 28th. I looked at him and said, "I ordered this already." He said, "Well, you didn't have an allocation slot, and now I have 2 that have opened up." I kind of sneered and said, "What about during the reveal party? What was that for then?" He replied, "I didn't have a slot for you." He could've told me that in August. So, that's why we are waiting now until Feb or March because I was jerked around like that. I've never had that problem ordering a car before. I ordered my '09 Infiniti FX and got it about 4 weeks later, and my '09 Nissan 370Z this past December and got it in February with no problems. (At the time, the Z was low production, high demand, and not even delivered to dealers yet.) Why this Sport when we've ordered other Rovers from these guys without a problem.

Sorry about the rant, but I placed the order and got jerked around. There were 2 other 2010 HSE Sports in waiting for pickup that day. Hmmm, how did they get their cars so fast? (My hypothesis is that our local NFL team ordered a whole bunch, and that bumped my out of the line. I saw the coach's daugter's getting picked up for delivery when I stopped in October. I've seen the parking lot of our team, and half the cars are Land Rovers of some kind.) I being polite and not mentioning any dealers names or teams. It's just out of courtesy because both are very nice in person.

Edit: I wish I could afford a 2010 Sport S/C because even with both my Z and Infiniti, they are cheaper together than the Sport. That's why I don't have one. I gotta keep my finances in the black, you know? :lol: Goosey, you have a good memory. My mom has the 2006 Sport S/C Black/Black, dad's is a Buckingham Blue '08 Full-Size S/C with the blue/tan interior. Me= wannabe who is as excited about someone else getting my dream car. (2010 Sport S/C)

#11 ·
umbertob said:
You're 32? Spoiled or not spoiled, you are a kid, dude. :crybaby2:
See? That's why I can't afford what my "more experienced elders" own! :lol: I edited my post at the end for Goosey. Thanks for all of you being nice to me on this board. I know I'm not technically an owner, but I take care of my fam's Rovers like they're my own. I'm kind of obsessed with cars.

#12 ·
You're not a kid -- you're 32.

Time to grow up. Quit playing Guitar Hero, hanging out at college bars, and thinking
wearing a shirt with a collar is for old men. These types of people are a dime a dozen
and never become successful. There is always one more excuse why they fail.

I'm 33 years old -- I have my own 2008 Range Rover Sport and my own 2006 Porsche 911 and my own house with a three car garage.

Once you reach the age of 25 -- it's time to stop thinking your too young and it's time to start using your head. There are plenty of people in this world who are not smart enough to grow up and start hustling -- we don't need another one.

Go to your local bar and look at the typical man and woman sitting there drinking and / or dancing on the tables.
Observe their style of life and do precisely the opposite.

Then, one day soon, you will have your 2010 Range Rover Sport -- :D

#13 ·
RC, food for thought if you own a small business.

http://www.frbatlanta.org/invoke.cfm?objectid=DE581453-5056-9F12-12F862DB2F2D106C&method=display

Small business impact
Let me go on to show the link between jobs and small business credit. During the last two economic expansions, small firms (those with fewer than 50 employees) contributed about one-third of net job growth. But the depth and duration of this recession have taken a substantial toll on small businesses. In the 2001 recession, small firms held up reasonably well and accounted for only 9 percent of net job loss. In this recession, however, small firms have accounted for about 45 percent of net job losses per our most recent data through the end of 2008.

Small businesses tend to depend greatly on the banking sector—especially community and regional banks—for financing. A Federal Reserve survey earlier in the decade showed that more than half of smaller firms had a credit line or loan with a bank. In addition, about half of these businesses used a personal or business credit card to finance working capital. In this recession, credit standards have tightened for all businesses, including small businesses.

So how serious is the CRE problem for the financial system and the broad economy?

First, let me provide some overview comments: While the CRE problem is serious for parts of the banking industry, I don't believe it poses a broad risk to the financial system. Compared with residential real estate, the size of the CRE debt market is smaller, and the exposure is more concentrated in smaller banks.

However, I am concerned about the potential impact of CRE on the broader economy. Unlike residential real estate, there is not the same direct linkage from CRE to household wealth—and therefore consumption—caused by erosion of home equity. However, there could be an impact resulting from small banks' impaired ability to support the small business sector—a sector I expect will be critically important to job creation.

Hell, I'm ten years older than At Law and have even less than he has, which I attribute to having stopped drinking later in life at 31, or was that 41 :think: ---see that's what alcohol and partying can do :doh:

#14 ·
gooseyloosey said:
but just in case, do you have the kind of business that allows you to deduct the use of the car to get some tax benefit on the rather hefty payment you have left on the '06?
Section 179. I thank the tax code every year for that little gift. Clearly I need a 6000# tank to drive my daily deposit to the bank lol.

I think this thread just reach ludicrous speed with the revelation that you have a new Z, a new FX, and yet you still need a new Rover. :dance:

#16 ·
Drevs said:
I think this thread just reach ludicrous speed with the revelation that you have a new Z, a new FX, and yet you still need a new Rover. :dance:
Drevs, I was confused too, I thought his mom was getting the car, but I think I got this right now.

His dad is getting the RRS, he's spec'ing it out and talking with the sales manager for his dad, but somehow the order got screwed up and he now has to wait. Its confusing because Weatherman uses the "we" and "I" pronouns somewhat interchangeably.

Until proven otherwise, I'm going with Weatherman's hypothesis that Aaron Rodgers bought his o-line 2010 RRS's for the great protection job they've done this year (thereby jumping the queue) and that the sales manager didn't just ignore the order because he thought Weatherman is crazy as a coconut.

And Weatherman, when this car comes in, I am expecting a very thorough review of it from you versus the older one. This is your opportunity to begin a side career in automotive journalism. By the way, are you a weatherman?

#17 ·
Like I said .. I owe the money to myself ... I kind of put this on the shelf. Well, funny what you mentioned about the IRS. This new purchase will reduce my 2009 tax liability by over 13K. Sounds like a no brainer to me. My accountant called me last week and told me I needed to buy a car before the end of the year(6000lb + GW). This is great news ... A new 2010 sport, and I will not have to pay Q4 tax estimates. My car is 100% business use. I am an insurance agent. I drive my pickup on the weekends. Soooo .. I will be picking up a 2010 White/Almond/Lux/Sirrius/Dig Radio. I looked at a black one and HATED the mica sh@t in the paint. It looked fine in the showroom ... pull it in the sun .. and BOOM purple and blue. It looks ok , I am just not a big metallic fan. I will pick it up tomorrow and post pics. I am assuming my 22" Stormer Style with 285/35/22 will fit?

#18 ·
They way I look at it he can take the next year to pay off his 2006 (assuming it is a 60 month loan) probably another $10,000, meanwhile the value will drop by $10,000 this year and he has thrown away money for an extended warranty. Why not put the money you are going to spend either way towards a new one, get the great write off and enjoy the new horsepower and interior.

Now is the time to sell while the economy is soft and people want used cars.

Why do tomorrow what you can do today if it really doesn’t cost you anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.