RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that the respondents don't find the list of things to replace and the cost of parts and labor excessive. I suggest you search the forum for front air strut replacement, and not specifically to the 2010, since the air suspension is largely common on all since 2003.
The front air struts are a common wear item. If your previous owner replaced one side (probably the right) 2 years ago, it's about right for the other side (usually left) to last a couple years beyond that.
Your question has been asked and answered a thousand times in these forums.
There is very likely no need to replace anything other than that air strut.
The air bag on the strut dry-rots at some point, and leaks air from that point/height. The rest of the pneumatic system are just working to keep up. The compressor has a temp sensor that will shut it off before it would get damaged.
Only replace both sides if both have failed, or you have plenty of money to spend on recreational repair that isn't needed. As I said above , they don't typically fail at the same time. If you research existing posts, you'll find the right strut always fails before the left (fronts, the rear airbags almost never fail. I still ave the originals on my 2003 and my 2012)

Look for the price of replacement air shocks or air struts on Rock Auto, including Arnott (I used Arnott for the most recent one I replaced), and you'll see the prices are not near the price they want to charge you. You can find replacements between $300 - $500 easily depending on preference of brand including the OEM suppliers, new or rebuilt (I don't recommend rebuilt).

It's not a terribly hard job to replace the front air shocks. I've got over 10 years of practice (= about 5 air shocks replaced) and can replace an air strut in about an hour with no special tools.
Arnotts have lifetime parts warranty to the original buyer. Other brands generally last maybe 5 years, depending on where you
i agree with rangiemark.. you are being ripped off , it takes an hour if you are slow to replace a strut and older model cars the arnott struts cost around $400 new and if you go with aftermarket amazon struts they are as low as $250.
I bought one of those amazon struts for $250 and surprisingly it has help up better than the argots , dunlops that cost twice as much.....

I dont understand how you are going to pay $2k plus just because you have been promised a warranty. IMO, DIY is the best approach and if that is not a viable option then perhaps poning up is your only option

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
Just replaced both front struts, not very difficult, figure 1 1/2 h per side for first time, best place to get them that I found is island 4x4 in UK.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
111 Posts
I bought my 2006 with 70K miles on it and replaced the same rf strut due to failed bags twice in the first 10k miles of driving it and no other bags in the remaining 40k miles. My point is bags can fail randomly for many reasons, likely manufacturing defects because all bags are under roughly the same environmental conditions. If they are all old replace them all, if they are relatively new and still working, why waste the money, no one knows when they will actually fail and if they do, I'd like them to tell me what is going to fail next on my truck..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts