RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here from a country where the hybrid can be ordered today?

They've been hyping the hybrid for the better part of 2 years now. I don't see it available in the UK, Germany, Australia, anywhere. When I asked Land Rover on facebook, they deleted my question outright. So does the hybrid exist or is it a complete vaporware like the HUD and other cool technologies they've demoed in the last 3-4 years?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Is there anyone here from a country where the hybrid can be ordered today?

I take that as a no. thx.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts

I take that as a no. thx.
Actually the hybrid was announced for the late part of this year as a 2015 in the China Market. What is sad is that LR was planning to deliver a hybrid state side and also in Europe. I think it would do very well in the US as evidenced by Audi and Porsche success in the US hybrid market. The TATA group maybe being conservative in launching products. Hopefully LR will look at Carbon footprint a task worth reducing, especially since FFRR is a off road experience.
http://www.businessinsider.com/diesel-hybrid-range-rover-china-2014-4

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah, that's the LWB. Actually, the hybrid was originally announced about a year and a half ago. it was supposed to be available first late 2013 (as 2014), then "by April" 2014 in the UK. Top Gear test drove it in January 2014. There used to be even a dedicated section on that website to the hybrid. And now it's gone, all references are completely gone as if it didn't even exist. Well, actually, it doesn't exist at the moment. As far as China is concerned, it cannot be selected on the Chinese site either. And for what it's worth, I personally don't give a flying **ck to carbon or economy, that's what the prius is for. An added 80-100 miles range to the tank on the other hand, it an absolute win. As far as the Porsche success is concerned, are you talking about the Cayenne hybrid? The Cayenne, which is outsold by the Range Rover Sport essentially each and every month in the last 8 years? Land Rover has zero incentives at this moment to add or modify the lineup. They have no incentives to change anything. Their money is in the current status quo, and once the new engine plant comes online, they can probably double their sales overnight. That is why the non-existence of the hybrid is such a disappointment. Of course, along with the fact that they keep announcing non-existent stuff.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts

Dude no need to say F**k. I live in NYC and spend over $120 a week in gas. But I would like to see less pollution and not having to fill up every week. I don't disrespect your view don't disrespect mine , I just answered the post.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

okay, sorry.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Are we talking about the diesel hybrid?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Dude no need to say F**k.
Couldn't agree more. There is never a need for profanity to describe a issue or articulate an opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Are we talking about the diesel hybrid?
Well, that's the only hybrid they have announced so far, and they also hinted that they might be bringing it to the States.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Well, that's the only hybrid they have announced so far, and they also hinted that they might be bringing it to the States.
I have seen those hints. Was thinking about waiting for that one as I am a diesel fan but when the demo came available I jumped on it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
62 Posts

One of those hints:

"3.1 SDV6 Hybrid Electric Vehicle
From April 2014 production, a hybrid powertrain joins the existing Range Rover powertrain line-up. Based on a 292hp version of the V6 diesel engine, the Range Rover Hybrid is Land Rover’s first hybrid production vehicle and will be made available in the Autobiography trim-level only.
The Range Rover SDV6 Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) offers a large reduction in emissions combined with excellent performance; the Hybrid matches the performance of the SDV8 powertrain while having lower CO2 emissions than the TDV6.
..."

From ... https://s3.amazonaws.com/ovalnews-cdn/pdf/RR+14.5MY+UK+Product+Brief+V4[2].pdf

·
Premium Member
224 Posts

One of those hints:

"3.1 SDV6 Hybrid Electric Vehicle
From April 2014 production, a hybrid powertrain joins the existing Range Rover powertrain line-up. Based on a 292hp version of the V6 diesel engine, the Range Rover Hybrid is Land Rover’s first hybrid production vehicle and will be made available in the Autobiography trim-level only.
The Range Rover SDV6 Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) offers a large reduction in emissions combined with excellent performance; the Hybrid matches the performance of the SDV8 powertrain while having lower CO2 emissions than the TDV6.
..."

From ... https://s3.amazonaws.com/ovalnews-cdn/pdf/RR+14.5MY+UK+Product+Brief+V4[2].pdf

Yes the hint should also add that the autobiography LWB will get the option as a my15 in December and serving the China market . I assume the euro market is included. Looks like a few hiccups have pushed the launch date back. Tata group seems to be tight lip about it.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I saw this too yesterday. Some of the commenters say the plate lookup shows it's actually a 5.0 supercharged car so there is probably a mistaken report there. I wish it were true though. On the other hand, there's hints about a plug in hybrid by JLR themselves. The complete lack of official comments and directions from JLR, as well as the hype for the last 18 months seem to mean that neither is happening yet though. To me, it looks like they're focusing on the Discovery launch (both the small and then the big one) next year. Or maybe they need their new engine plant up and running for a volume launch and that plant won't be fully up to speed for another 9 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts