RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!! I've had such success with this site. I thank everyone for their help. So, not too long ago I developed a tick in my engine. Kept hearing it was my lifters and no big issue. I had my husband change my oil and he ended up adding 7 quarts. I drove for quiet a while and my engine started to knock terribly. Had my mechanic drain it and add the correct amount. Which I think is about 5 quarts...Then I started to notice my transmission oil leaking slowing and now my truck seems to jerk when I accelerate. I would absolutely HATE to have replace my tranny due to no fluid. Is there a dipstick on my 2001 HSE 4.6? Where I can check and add fluid instead of having to take it into the dealer or another mechanic? Thanks !! Also...the tick I hear...is there anyway to get rid of that? I switched to a thicker oil 20w and no luck at the ticking sound going away. It's not super loud and hasn't affected my performance I just want to go back to normal.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the exact procedure is in the rave, 99 and up does not have a dipstick or fill tube. you park on a level surface run engine and trans until normal temp is reached remove plug at front of trans oil pan, if fluid runs out you're good. if not you need a fluids pump, fill until level runs out, you're done.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
The transmission fluid level is checked with the fluid cold. Engine temp doesn't matter. The engine needs to be running when you do it and the gearbox left in park. Take the plug out first and top up either as RRTH suggests or I find that a cheap garden sprayer, the pump up type with a plastic hose, makes it easier. Run through the gears and let XS oil trickle out. Put plug back in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts