RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
134 Posts
Honestly, MOST buyers (not all) who buy Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, and even Defenders are kind of 'posers', because most buyers (again not all) never take these trucks off-road.

You can probably extend that to high-performance sports cars too. Since MOST buyers don't take them to the track and tap their full potential.

In western culture today we buy excess.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I built out my L322 as you described and out on the trail, it made even the Rubicons look like they were trying too hard. If not for reliability issues, I would still be wheeling the L322. Honestly, if there were any good ways to delete the EAS and go to a more reliable off-road suspension/lift, and better aftermarket support for things like skids, sliders and bumpers, I would almost certainly still have mine. I could make a strong argument that the L322 is the the most capable off-road vehicle Land Rover ever produced. I have since moved on to an "ugly, souless Japanese Landcruiser" and have no regrets, but I will always stand behind the off-road capability of the L322, if not the reliability. Also worth noting that the L322 properly outfitted is among the best looking off-roaders ever built.

Here is my '06:

View attachment 282508

View attachment 282509

View attachment 282510
You could be a photographer for the Land Rover marketing department. Those are some awesome shots, did you end up keeping your Range Rover, or did you sell it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Honestly, MOST buyers (not all) who buy Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, and even Defenders are kind of 'posers', because most buyers (again not all) never take these trucks off-road.

You can probably extend that to high-performance sports cars too. Since MOST buyers don't take them to the track and tap their full potential.

In western culture today we buy excess.
Because you **** up the value if you really “use” them, as with anything except diesel trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
245 Posts
In their stock form when new, L322 off road capabilities were often described in glowing terms by magazines. "Can tackle tough offroad terrain that would fail less capable SUVs," Cars.com. "In terms of boulder bashing, it still has few equals," Edmunds.com. "Best in class offroad capabilities," U.S. News. "The Range Rover is capable of duties that would ruin any other SUV," Family Car magazine. "The Range Rover is equipped with one of the finest off-road systems ever designed," Kelley Blue Book. "The No. 1 vehicle to take mom and grandma offroad," MSN.com. "Range Rover's offroad performance continues to set the standard for the class," Automotive.com.

·
Registered
245 Posts
"It's estimated that no more than 15% of Range Rover owners ever seriously ramble through the boonies (off-road)." Car and Driver magazine on the 2003 Range Rover, July 2002.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A force to be reckoned with - extremely underrated. Someone previously mentioned that it was one of the best looking too. Personally I think it's hands down the best looking SUV ever built. I don't do anything serious, just dirt, mud, snow, and some rocks usually every weekend - I'm always amazed by a) the traction b) the smooth ride and c) the steering wheel feel (never juddery). I never seem to be thrown around, and friend passengers with other makes of vehicles invariably comment on that in particular; "man this is smooth." Land Rover took the road less travelled in more ways than one, they committed to all independent EAS, away from ladder frames, this is still a bone of contention amongst enthusiasts but these vehicles suit my purposes perfectly and offer a supreme highway ride head and shoulders above the Jeeps and Cruisers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Because you **** up the value if you really “use” them, as with anything except diesel trucks.

At this point in 2019, the L322s don't have a lot of value to "retain". You might as well use them for what they were designed for. However, I get it for the new buyers though. But "new" Range Rover buyers and "used" Range Rover buyers are typically two different animals altogether.

·
Registered
590 Posts
At this point in 2019, the L322s don't have a lot of value to "retain". You might as well use them for what they were designed for. However, I get it for the new buyers though. But "new" Range Rover buyers and "used" Range Rover buyers are typically two different animals altogether.
Generation matters. The difference in value, as of right now, between a 2012 and a 2013 FFRR is astronomical. Something like 50%. I’d use that as the hard line instead of new vs. used.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Generation matters. The difference in value, as of right now, between a 2012 and a 2013 FFRR is astronomical. Something like 50%. I’d use that as the hard line instead of new vs. used.

I wrote L322.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Regarding the L322 chassis/body construction, its stiffness and ruggedness, and how that relates to offroading capabilities...

"Surely this latest iteration of the Range Rover -- with its all-new, ultra-stiff monocoque body (a tortional stiffness of 24,000 pound-feet per degree), independent four-wheel suspension, permanent four-wheel drive with a two-speed on-the-fly transfer case and a torque-sensing center differential -- seems prepared to assault all manner of obstacles short of the north face of the Eiger."

Car and Driver magazine on the 2003 Range Rover, July 2002

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wrote L322.
True, you did. Now a 2012 Autobiography Ultimate might still have some value. While not lacking in any off-road capability of the other trims, I’d be hesitant to “enjoy” something like THAT to the fullest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
True, you did. Now a 2012 Autobiography Ultimate might still have some value. While not lacking in any off-road capability of the other trims, I’d be hesitant to “enjoy” something like THAT to the fullest.

I’m looking at a 2012 Westminster L322 to enjoy just like that. if you want a cosseted 30k miler you’re looking at L405 money, if you accept that average mileage happens, there are amazing vehicles to be had for good prices! with the comfort you expect from a Rangie!!
look forward to posting pics!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
26 Posts
Fantastic! I have to ask...how do you lift the vehicle with that hi-lift jack?
I have attachments to lift it from the front & rear recovery points/receiver hitch as well as the wheels. On previous trucks I've really only needed it pile rocks under a tire etc but on this one I've only used it to help other people's rigs, lol!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have owned and raced Jeeps since the late 1970's and have had an L322 for about 5 years. To think it compares to a Jeep off road is just not reasonable. The biggest problems are the weight which makes it god awful in the dunes. The air bags which are handy to climb over a particular obstacle but when in extended mode becomes stiffer than any lift kit I've owned on a Jeep and the "quality ride" just goes to ****. Then there is the reliability. I've only had the RR from 70K miles to 100K but I have NO confidence that I could go out on the trail and not end up getting towed back due to another air bag failure or other EAS system problem, or one of many transmission failures, or a single engine coil out of 8 failing that causes the software to go into limp mode etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, we say Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, but my RR experience has made Jeeps seem like the most reliable cars ever built in comparison.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have owned and raced Jeeps since the late 1970's and have had an L322 for about 5 years. To think it compares to a Jeep off road is just not reasonable. The biggest problems are the weight which makes it god awful in the dunes. The air bags which are handy to climb over a particular obstacle but when in extended mode becomes stiffer than any lift kit I've owned on a Jeep and the "quality ride" just goes to ****. Then there is the reliability. I've only had the RR from 70K miles to 100K but I have NO confidence that I could go out on the trail and not end up getting towed back due to another air bag failure or other EAS system problem, or one of many transmission failures, or a single engine coil out of 8 failing that causes the software to go into limp mode etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, we say Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, but my RR experience has made Jeeps seem like the most reliable cars ever built in comparison.
Ditto if they make Chrysler look reliable, ****

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love those wheels. What brand and dimension? Did you have to modify anything to get them to fit?
Thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out! Contrary to some purists above it rides quieter and smoother than it did from the factory. MPG definitely suffered but it was a fair trade for a better ride and much better performance off-road as far as I'm concerned! The wheels are Black Rhino Barstows 18x8 -30 offset but I also run 30mm Terrafirma spacers. I don't need the spacers with the aftermarket wheels, only the factory but I still run them because I like them. No mods were needed for the wheels. It's a 4.4 HSE so I don't have (or need) the Brembos and can therefore run the 18"s. The tires are Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65r18 (33x11.50). I did have to lift it and trim some things to make them fit though. I'm about to step up to 34" after my front bumper is done.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts