Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the super antiquated navigation system in my P38 and I would like to put a in an AUX connection in place of the CD changer. However, when I look at things like the GROM units I see compatibility lists like this:

*Suitable for the following vehicles:
Rover Rover 75 1999-2005 (Alpine stereos / No Navigation);
Rover Rover MG 2001-2005 (Alpine stereos / No Navigation);
Rover LANDROVER ZT 2002-2004 (Alpine stereos / No Navigation);
Rover Discovery 2000-2004 (Alpine stereos / No Navigation).

This adapter plugs into the CD changer port and I do not know of any differences in that regard when you have navigation installed. I am wondering if this is just laziness in that most cars that have navigation built into the head unit have totally different version for their navigation no-navigation versions so this got applied to this versions and nobody cared to correct it.

So, could I use something like this or do I need to keep searching for a navigation specific version.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,713 Posts
Assuming the US version is the same, an owner of a 2001 Vogue SE in the UK also couldn't understand why it wouldn't work even though he had nav, so ordered a Grom BT3 unit. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Since you left P38 off the list, the change from Clarion to Alpine happened mid 99 with the change to Bosch. Clarions in P38 were the same from 95 to mind 99. Nav directions used the mute function and sent a dedicated signal to front speakers. Later handled entire by the DSP amp.

You have one super easy option:Call GB 4x4 radio in "Texarkana" and purchase one off shelf with aux input built into the face of the radio. Their head unit will not have cassette function but you still retain CD. Super clean looking and no additional install. Pull your head unit to get a matching unit for exchange. If they don;t have the exact part number replacement they will likely have a P38 Alpine unit that is compatible ready to go.

As far as your list above there are many variations of the Alpine head unit that look the same but differ due to which amps were used, optioning and the number of speakers in the system. Your best bet since the DiscoII is listed is to check your head unit part number with folks on a Disco site to see if they are a match. Surely somewhere on the internet there is an alpine part number cross reference for which cars had that unit from the factory.

Installing Grom is not difficult from what I have gleamed from existing posts, but there is additional wiring and you no longer have CD. MP3 and other common formats are great, but there are somethings in the music world that need the higher clarity of CD over downloaded/compressed files or ripped files.

·
Administrator
3,713 Posts
Line in alone is OK but with the Grom as well as line in you also get Bluetooth connection including hands free capability and USB connectivity giving much more flexibility and options.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I left the P38 off the list, that was in the item title on Amazon. I was not sure if the Amazon link would be welcome on the forum. I am just going to grab the simple GROM line in unit thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to close this one out the GROM unit works great. I just got the cheapest one with an Aux input since that will have more lasting power than the ones with more bells and whistles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts