RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most Range Rover owners I talked to think "Sport" is a hanger-on like the Jaguar X-Type. :snooty:

Comments?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
No, when Ford owned a portion of Land Rover they insisted on the Land Rover division using the left over Ford Maverick parts to build the Range Rover Sport. The idea was a vehicle that could bring bring the AMC Pacer followers over to Ford/Land Rover.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
DrewT55 said:
No, when Ford owned a portion of Land Rover they insisted on the Land Rover division using the left over Ford Maverick parts to build the Range Rover Sport. The idea was a vehicle that could bring bring the AMC Pacer followers over to Ford/Land Rover.
:mrgreen: OMFG that is hilarious! A very apt description. :thumb:

Long and short, No. The Sport is as much a real Range Rover as the new Barbi Range Rover Evoque is. The folks in marketing wanted something better than a Disco they could toss the Range Rover lettering on to snag the younger sportier crowd. Thus the Disco was gussied up, rebadged and the Sport was born. I know I over simplified the story, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It's 'horses for courses' with this one. No, it's not a luxury trans continental Land Rover but it is ideal as a 'blast' vehicle for fast twisty roads. Anyway, it's a Discovery3 really with a different body, but the Disco covers another market segment that the RRS and RR don't.

From what I've read, that new LR is going to sport a Range Rover badge. :think:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
figaro hse said:
Most Range Rover owners I talked to think "Sport" is a hanger-on like the Jaguar X-Type. :snooty:

Comments?
Come come now! The X-type was an afterthought born of a FWD Mondeo. With the Mondeo platform they created a vehicle that was proportionally or architecturally nothing like what a Jag ever has or I suspect ever will be again, and was really nothing more than a facade. Whereas the RRS is arguably, given the full-size Range Rover's BMW based platform, more genuine LR than the 2001-2010 big beastie. :)

Megan

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
figaro hse said:

Comments?
Speaking of hanger-on's, had a bit of an issue with the dog this morning after taking him for his morning walk. But thankfully, I got that figured out and cleaned up before letting him back in the house. But I digress.

Your question relates to the science of taxonomy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy. As you can see it is often quite complicated. For instance the Giant Panda and Red Panda are both named "panda" but wholly unrelated. The Giant Panda is actually considered to be in the bear family, while the Red Panda is classified as its own species, more closely related to the racoon, yet they share the name "panda."

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Excellent point. Yet another example of how confusing this can get, figaro.

...and the Fiat Panda is not to be trifled with.

Talk about confusion... The 4x4 Panda will be rebadged as a Jeep for the North American market in 2011!

Is the Panda a real Jeep? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
gooseyloosey said:
Excellent point. Yet another example of how confusing this can get, figaro.

...and the Fiat Panda is not to be trifled with.

Talk about confusion... The 4x4 Panda will be rebadged as a Jeep for the North American market in 2011!

Is the Panda a real Jeep? :lol:
Nice! Will they trail rate it on the Rubicon?

Umberto, on your next trip to Big Bear watch out for some crazy mo-fo rally driving a Panda fully equipped with a light bar and winch. I just put my order in.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There are two ways to interpret this question:
1. The Modern Way - "Is the Range Rover Sport as nice and luxurious as the Range Rover?" No, it is not. Thus the $30k+ discount.
2. The Legacy Way - "Is the RRS capable enough to be worthy of the Range Rover name?" Yes. It is even more capable off road than the full size RR, especially when compared to the the full size RR that was available in 2006, when the RRS was introduced. They've played catch up with the RR since, adding the TR system.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I took my RRS on some grass the other day. Handled like a champ, so I say yes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts