RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting an OBD2 scanner to help with info as well as just tinkering and so I checked under the bonnet just to be sure. The VIN plate does not say OBD compliant but I want to know if all P38s were or just the later ones. Mine is a 1995 4.6 ex Japan. I don´t know if mine is and maybe the plate just doesn´t say so or if it only started in ´96.
Thanks in anticipation
Rowan

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
OBDII scanners do work but not for all the vehicle functions, just engine I believe.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I used to have a '95 4.0 and it was OBDII compliant. My impression is that all P38's have the OBDII. Does your's have the connection? If so, I would think it would be wired in. You basically have 2 choices for styles of readers. Low cost versions will only read the standard OBD codes and none of the LR specific data. They may or may not reset codes. I have never had a standard code on either of my Rovers although I do have a reader for another car than works on the Rover. To read all the Rover specific codes, you have to spend thousands on readers to access them. The one time I needed codes for the HVAC system, I took it to a mechanic who read and fixed the problem for less than half the cost of the cheapest diagnostic tool (standard OBDII useless for HVAC). You can purchase inexpensive readers for the EAS only from RSW which is the one you most likely will need at some point. These day many auto parts store will read your standard OBD codes for free, at least in the US.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
NorCal RR said:
You can purchase inexpensive readers for the EAS only from RSW which is the one you most likely will need at some point. These day many auto parts store will read your standard OBD codes for free, at least in the US.
Definately check out RSW/Malafax_dand and his wares. Storey is a great guy to work with and stands behind his goods. His catalogue of items is slowly expanding to cover more systems. In fact he is going to be releasing a new gizmo soon!

THere are other options out there that are hugely more expensive but may leave alot to be desired with their foreign customer service and poor build quality. As NorCal mentioned, most any autoparts store will read your engine codes for free. Get chummy with your local independant LR mechanic and they will be a great help. Many independants also offer free or greatly reduced code resets if you are a member of your local enthusiasts club.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My machine does have an OBD2 socket under the glove box so I will give it a go.
I have downloaded the free fault clearing program shown on RR.net and so I will just make up a suitable cable to work with it.

I have also downloaded a diagnostic program from here: http://www.obd-2.com/ but there is no info given regarding the cable configuration. I have searched around and believe that OBD2 cables have a standard wiring setup across the board. Is that correct or does Land Rover use it´s own system? I refer to an OBD2 to DB9 cable. Is it also correct that I will need to use a special rs232/usb connection to join to my computer?

Thanks

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mine supports OBD II. It was funny getting emissions done on it. I could not find the port for the life of me, then I thought like a British auto designer 8) . The port seemed to be on the left side of all my other cars, SO it had to be on the right, and sure enough lol.

BTW RRtoadhall. hilarious pic, you know bumbles bounce right?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
lrscott said:
BTW RRtoadhall. hilarious pic, you know bumbles bounce right?
Depending on what body part I land on when I fall I usually bounce too. :mrgreen: It must be the "misfit" in me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts