RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I'm looking to purchase some rims on my 06' RRSS, I was just curious because I am intending on hooking up some 22" rims on my ride but i really do not want it to effect the smoothness of my ride or steering...
are their any specific tires or rims that will not decrease my cars performance?

·
Registered
318 Posts
freshtodeath said:
hey I'm looking to purchase some rims on my 06' RRSS, I was just curious because I am intending on hooking up some 22" rims on my ride but i really do not want it to effect the smoothness of my ride or steering...
are their any specific tires or rims that will not decrease my cars performance?
Forged wheels are your best bet, but nobody ever wants to lay the money out for them. Search 'rotating mass' or 'unsprung weight' to see the effects of heavier wheels and tires on your car.

That said, I went from the 20" Stormers and Nokians to 22" Kahn RS-C replicas and 285 35 22's and feel a negligible loss in ride quality, braking and performance. Course I have the blown 4.2 with the Brembo's so I knew my RRS would be set up for slightly larger wheels. I bet on an HSE it would be dreadful - the amount of power and braking loss, and borderline unsafe.

In fact, I'd steer people to NOT getting larger non-forged wheels if they have an HSE - the brakes, suspension and engine just can't take it. Everyone wants to go fast and look good but nobody ever wants to stop fast, even at the expense of safety. These idiot gangster thug wannabe's with 24's on a Navigator with coffee saucer sized brakes. Rather look good than be safe cause it's all about image to them. It's all about balance.

G

·
0 Posts
It has to do with tire size. The skinnier the tire, the rougher the ride. If you go with 22s, go with 285/35/22 like the guy above mentioned. I doubt you will feel in a difference in ride quality.

BTW- as far as rims go, the best wheels/highest quality will always be the multi-piece forged wheels. Stick with Iforged, DPE, HRE, etc. Not only are they much stronger (they can withstand damage such as bends/cracks 10000x better), they are also lighter (sometimes very significantly). The guy above hit it right on the nail with suggesting forged wheels :thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
freshtodeath said:
The short answer is both rims and tires can affect the ride. The guys above covered the rim aspect (though I have 22" non-forged rims, and they've not been a problem), so I'll cover something else: different brands/models of tires have different sidewall stiffness, so keep that in mind. One way to soften the ride on - let's say - a 22" rim that is 9.5" wide (22's will likely be 9.5" or 10" wide), is to put a 275 width tire on it, rather than the more clean looking (and thinner) 265. This allows the tire's sidewall to flare out somewhat, which both cushions the ride and provides additional wheel lip protection.

Good luck!

·
Registered
543 Posts
G'Day FTD.

All the above comments are correct, especially U.R.'s reference to forged rims which are a significantly lighter & stronger wheel.

The colour of your ride can have an influence on the "look" achieved any appropriate sized rims or tyres on your Rangie Sport, since black or darker tones really need a set much larger than stock, as the wheels look smaller on under cover brother deco's !

I'm back from the Solomon Islands boys.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts
I noticed I made a mistake: I meant 285, rather than 275...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been looking at some 22" forged wheels. (Redbourne)...

While online I came accross someone selling some "custom made" 2pc Overfinch wheels. ( similar to Redbourn Barons)
Well I guess what I'm getting at is does overfinch make custom wheels? He says he paid over $6k for them. Has a receipt to prove it but wheels don't have anything stamped with overfinich on them. Is it a scam?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts
MrFRESH said:
Ukraine Range said:
Redbournes are NOT forged.
Do'h...
Thanks for that info!
Now do you know if Overfinich makes custom wheels?
If it's spelled "Overfinich"....then no.

:lol:

G

·
0 Posts
MrFRESH said:
I've been looking at some 22" forged wheels. (Redbourne)...

While online I came accross someone selling some "custom made" 2pc Overfinch wheels. ( similar to Redbourn Barons)
Well I guess what I'm getting at is does overfinch make custom wheels? He says he paid over $6k for them. Has a receipt to prove it but wheels don't have anything stamped with overfinich on them. Is it a scam?
overfinch doesn't have a line of custom made wheels. They do however order custom made "unbranded" wheels for customers (overfinch is an actual shop in LA). They are supposedly similar quality to the high end custom made multi-piece manufacturers. Its basically a wheel factory that sells wheels direct and overfinch orders from there. Other companies do the same thing (like platinum motorsports) but they slip in a pm centercap. I think they are actually pretty good quality...

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMMensaMind said:
MrFRESH said:
Ukraine Range said:
Redbournes are NOT forged.
Do'h...
Thanks for that info!
Now do you know if Overfinich makes custom wheels?
If it's spelled "Overfinich"....then no.

:lol:
Lol my iPhone has a mind of it's own, I can't tell you how many times it's got me introuble with the wifey! Lol
anyways yes I meant OverFINCH!?! Lol

and thanks for all that info about the factory in LA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts