RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
182 Posts
You should be able to move the condenser out of the way without removing anything. I just undid the brackets and tied it off out of the way so the cam could slide by.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update: finally got around to taking the main caps off... tada! The replacement bearings are supposed to arrive yesterday. As soon as I get those back in, Ill pop the con-rod caps.... Picking up the reconditioned heads Tuesday next.

Motor is still in vehicle:

Shells and caps:

·
Registered
424 Posts
What is thread sealant EXP16A (Marston Lubricants) lubricant or equivalent? For main bearing bolts...
Also used was 3M Scoth 776 in older builds of these engines. As it's titled sealed the threads, but also stopped the steel bolts "galling" the aluminium threads whenever torqued. Plus original torque ratings where with this. Bolts cleaned, degreased and lightly coated just as about to assemble.

I always used it but nobody nowadays appears to bother.

The bolts never seized on disassembly with it, so it clearly worked, used it on all block bolts ( heads, inlet, waterpump etc)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
RRLondon, thanks for the reply... I did find this searching.. . "3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Fuel Resistant Coating EC-776"
Is that what your meant.. cannot seem to find a similar to order. Very special stuff.... What about a substitute.. what exactly is that stuff doing.. Anti-seize and protect perhaps?
Im going to use permatex Anti-seize #80078. Says it works in high temp and jet aircraft applications which is good enough for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Well, I got a box of GENUINE (oh my g..) bearings from LR thru my trusted parts supplier. Turns out the box was tampered with as far as I can tell because there were only one type of bearing in the box.. just the upper with the groove and and not the smooth lower... Very disappointing after spending alot and waiting 3 weeks.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts