RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My active rear stabilizer bar has begun leaking. Land Rover, of course, doesn't sell just the active part of the stabilizer bar and the whole stabilizer bar is about $2300. I was thinking of just trying to put epoxy around all of the seals of the hydraulic part and just permanently seal it. It's not supposed to be opened, so it shouldn't matter if I put epoxy around it.

Have you guys ever heard of a fix like this to stop the active rear stabilizer bar from leaking?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Quite frankly I think you are both nuts. Seriously this is not a water leak on an old Beetle. This is a pressurized hydraulic system. Do it correctly or don;t do it at all and sell the rig. Bodge jobs only cost more in the long run and/or torture the next owner.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RRToadHall, I don't see the issue with trying some cheap fixes before replacing the part. To do it correctly is to replace the entire rear stabilizer bar. So, what's the harm in trying to seal the actuator permanently to see if that stops the leak? The actuator isn't a servicable part, so there's no reason it shouldn't be sealed permanently. And worse case scenario where I ruin everything on the stabilizer bar, I'm still back at "fix it correctly" by buying a new stabilizer bar.

But to be fair, I wasn't going to use Sugru. I was thinking more of an industrial sealant, an epoxy, or maybe even soulder/weld.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
RRToadHall, I don't see the issue with trying some cheap fixes before replacing the part. To do it correctly is to replace the entire rear stabilizer bar. So, what's the harm in trying to seal the actuator permanently to see if that stops the leak? The actuator isn't a servicable part, so there's no reason it shouldn't be sealed permanently. And worse case scenario where I ruin everything on the stabilizer bar, I'm still back at "fix it correctly" by buying a new stabilizer bar.

But to be fair, I wasn't going to use Sugru. I was thinking more of an industrial sealant, an epoxy, or maybe even soulder/weld.
IMG_9257.JPG

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I'm far from a "purist", but I'd stick to doing it right on this job.
If you bodge it though, post pics. Otherwise.......

looksgood.jpg

Martin

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
I had mine replaced but prior to, I used Lucas power steering stop leak and it WORKED!!! Try that first if it's not a huge leak. Should hold you over until you can afford to have the sway bar replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts