RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1997 Range Rover 4.0, its a base spec with cloth seats and manual heating and I just wondered whether it is possible to retro fit the cruise control system? I suppose the first question has to be is the wiring fitted to all models which would allow me to connect up the cruise ecu? I did have a quick look at the side of the steering column but could not see the connectors, are they hidden away somewhere? Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hi, I doubt you can do it since the cruise control on these cars are old school and are very mechanical in nature. In cars fitted w/ cruise, there are two throttle cables connected to the throttle body. One of the cable is connected to a vacuum system. The vacuum system holds the throttle in place when the cruise is activated.

why don't you first check if you have two throttle cables and the vacuum system. If not, it's gonna be a lot of work. Vacuum unit is located between the firewall and the EAS box.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This would be no small amount of work. You'll need the cruise button on the dash, the buttons on the steering wheel, the rotating assembly, the cruise ECU and inverter, two pedal switches, the vac pump and assorted hoses, wiring to the pump, the throttle cables if not already installed, and some of the wiring speaks to the BECM (not sure what can of worms you would encounter there). I have enough problems trying to troubleshoot the system I have, I'd hate to try to install one from the get go.

Take a look at the cruise troubleshooting section of RAVE, has a good overview of the system and all the components.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Oddly the 4.0L basic model is not well covered in RAVE, if the connectors are there is should be obvious to see but you do mention you had a quick look, maybe abit to quick...

Does your steering wheel have the lower buttons for this function?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
You can buy and fit after market side stalk cruise controls quite easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I have the steering wheel with set/resume already fitted and I checked the BeCM today and the wiring for the cruise is not there, however the voltages that the BeCM outputs (multimetre on the relevant pin of the BeCM) to control the cruise are working so I am going to give it go. Not going to rush, is going to be a little project over the next couple of months, will let you know how I get on :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put a Rostra cruise control kit on my chevy service van. Took me about 3 hours would have been alot easier and quiker on a vehicle with a hood and normal engine compartment. Cost about $200, best money I ever spent considering the amount of time in the saddle. If you want more info I'm sure I could find out where I got it and you could contact them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts