RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I fix something, something else goes!

Fixed the squeaking/rattling rear brakes on Monday and while I'm test driving it I realize the back-light for the HVAC is out - fix that today and when I start the truck up to move it away from the garage, the message center tells me the tag lights are out! ****!

:doh:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working on cars in my spare time - keeps me from having to paint the dining room! But.....I'd like to get the lift kit in my Tacoma, paint/install the wheel flairs and rockers on my F-350 and maybe put the A/C back on my 72 GTO - that is before the summer is over!

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
That's pretty much the Range Rover experience... double the fun, add a second one to your fleet! :shock:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I feel your pain. Being a one man fleet maintenace mechanic in my spare time is taxing. I just put a new oil pan gasket in the P38, and then the oil filter adapter seal on the Jeep takes a dump. Fix that then blow a wheel bearing on the Jag. Fix that and then spend half a day trying to get the cruise to work on the P38 (without success, looks to be BECM issue). I did remove all of the A,B,C pillar cover panels and removed the mouse fur and painted them matte black. That was my only somewhat "elective" repair. Knock on wood the Saab is keeping quiet right now.....but I had to rewire the harness on my quad and put a new tie rod on my 1961 Wheel Horse.

All of this is taking place while my wife is giving me the heat over stalling on remodeling the master bathroom. I might need to have some kids just to keep her busy and eventually get some help around here! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
217 Posts
"All of this is taking place while my wife is giving me the heat over stalling on remodeling the master bathroom. I might need to have some kids just to keep her busy and eventually get some help around here! "

Great idea that you have given me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have work to do on the 3 cars and I don´t have time to do anything...

Regards

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
This is exactly the reason I don't fix the blend motors on mine. I know for **** sure that the day I do, something else will go. I've found that it prefers to have two to three things not working perfectly at a time.... otherwise it will make something not work. For me it's blend motors, hvac panel, heated seats, and a valve cover leak. They've all been like that for over 80k miles, and I'm not touching em. When I did do the halfassed fix of the heated seats, my wife nearly caught one on fire. :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
rtkraken said:
That's pretty much the Range Rover experience... double the fun, add a second one to your fleet! :shock:
Thats really not funny,I have 4 of the things at my workshop at the moment - only one of them will be a reasonably easy fix.It can get you down after a while......

·
Registered
308 Posts
kmagnuss said:
my wife nearly caught one on fire. :doh:
:lol:

I did both of my seats the other day, one of them twice. After finally getting them back together I retested them with a meter only to find an open circuit again.. After I tore it back apart to recheck it, I realized it was caused by leaving the seat bottom sitting in the hot sun in my driveway. Darn those thermal overload protectors! :doh:

But I know what the OP means; the day after I finished with the seats, the seat belt buckle broke. Shortly before that it was my radio, immediately afterward the air conditioning went...

It does almost seem like its better to leave one or two insignificant things broken just to keep the rover gods happy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How familiar all this sounds.. Whenever I walk up to the car I always wonder what surprise it has in store for me. :think: It did not let me down today: battery flat as a doormat. I'll have to look into that some time, like the blend motors, the aircon, the window regulator, door locks, whine in the drivetrain, loss of cooling fluid, irregular running while stationary, inop cd-changer, water dripping from the lightfixture, never ending fight with the EAS, replace HT-leads to no. 2 and no. 7 without serious injury, getting the HeVAc working properly, the list is endless, so it seems. BUT! When every thing falls into place, there is no better ride out there! You all know the feeling: cruising along at 60 mph, you are one the magic carpet, for miles on end. Look around, and you see people driving around in very reliable cars. Do they know the inner being of that car? No, because they never have to come close to a spanner or a 6 mm hose! So who do you think is better off? I know, because I own a Land Rover... A P38, to be more specific. And I'll never get rid of it! :dance:

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
allyv8 said:
rtkraken said:
Thats really not funny,I have 4 of the things at my workshop at the moment - only one of them will be a reasonably easy fix.It can get you down after a while......
Gotcha... sorry. My terrible sense of humor.

I can't imagine working on these vehicles for a living.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Folks,
I just love the ride! the way U R seated in a P-38 makes you happy, my cousins have a 2010 RR sport(really fast), mercedes ML430, Honda Passport, and every time we all going for a soccer game, they like to ride in my truck, everybody agrees it is the best for the trip :thumb: U know how much I'm paying for gas :shock: , THEY DON'T :evil:
to tell u the truth, this truck have been reliable for me, and I always drive long distance, but I am always doing preventive maintainance though!
Cheers,
ZEE

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I just replaced the tag bulbs and the wife just left for work......how long before I get the call? LOL! ;)

Whoever said they were just like women was spot on! They need to be touched daily, and well cared for - for that they will do almost anything for you - without it, they will leave you hanging without notice!

I shared that comment while standing at the parts counter at my local dealership yesterday, and the receptionist, while acting insulted, wouldn't disagree with me! ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
TheBoss said:
Ok, I just replaced the tag bulbs and the wife just left for work......how long before I get the call? LOL! ;)

Whoever said they were just like women was spot on! They need to be touched daily, and well cared for - for that they will do almost anything for you - without it, they will leave you hanging without notice!

I shared that comment while standing at the parts counter at my local dealership yesterday, and the receptionist, while acting insulted, wouldn't disagree with me! ;)

You forgot the part about when you seperate, they both take half your money. :clap:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Chris X said:
You forgot the part about when you seperate, they both take half your money. :clap:
I'm not so sure they wait for separation before taking half my money - I think they are doing that now. :crybaby2:

On top of all the usua lstuff SWMBO arrived home today and presented me with the tailgate latch in her hand and has been muttering quite alot recently about the amount of time I am spending fixing her RR. What's worse she is making noises about replacing it with some boring eurobox - Ahh maybe that's why the Rangie is getting upset and throwing it's toys (and other parts) out of the pram :think:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heater/coolant hose burst....

on our way to Boston......

for the weekend.....

*****!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced another 5 hoses under the hood - just in case. What's going to go next?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When are the headlight wipers supposed to go on?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Every second time you wash and wipe the windscreen while the headlamps are on.

Sigi

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I'll check that again.

Just working through the list of issues - it's a long one!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes a Rovie without EAS is a glorified Jeep Grand Cherokee but I can certainly see why people dump the EAS for springs. I grow tired of working on mine every...freakin'...week. 8-|=

1 - 20 of 37 Posts