Range Rovers Forum banner

Is it 4.0 or 4.6????

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  996TURBO 
#1 ·
Hi Guys & Girls,
I have never had to cross this bridge before, so I need a little help. The car is a 4.0lt p38 98 model. Supposedly having had a 4.6 dropped in. How can I tell the difference??? It's running the gems ecu that is flaged as a 4.0lt when I get into the system. It has a 4.0lt plenum cover which really means nothing. Looking at the two engines side by side I'm struggling to see any difference. And I'm not pulling off a head to measure the stroke!!!!! Regards Russell.
ps I have contacted LR with the engine number and they cant help.

#3 ·
:idea: you could remove the spark plugs, turn the engine over by hand and measure the stroke by poking a thin rod down to the piston when it's at BDC then measuring the difference at TDC. Not real precise but prob. enough to tell the difference?
cheers
A.

#4 ·
nipper said:
How about dropping the sump (oil pan) and measuring the stroke that way. A lot less work.
Thanks for that, I did give measuring the stroke some thought, but hopping someone has taken notice to a difference externally. :pray:

#5 ·
Hoges said:
:idea: you could remove the spark plugs, turn the engine over by hand and measure the stroke by poking a thin rod down to the piston when it's at BDC then measuring the difference at TDC. Not real precise but prob. enough to tell the difference?
cheers
A.
Thanks Hoges, and thank you for the info you sent me. Had a good chat huh :clap: :clap:

#8 ·
If you have an iPhone then you can get a cheap app to measure 0-60, bhp and torque. You just input vehicle weight and do a few 0-60 runs on a flat road.
Its not a definite answer but it will tell you if you have a good engine or not.

#9 ·
rrtoadhall said:
Have you looked at the engine/block number? Does the engine/block number start as 40 or 46? Unless they used a stroker rebuild kit from someone like AB a 40 is a 4.0 and a 46 is a 4.6.
Yep I have run the engine number through LR but they are telling me because the vin and engine numbers don't match ie in the same car. They can't tell me!!!!!
The engine number starts 59d :think: :think:
Regards Russell.

#10 ·
Tim (Scotland) said:
If you have an iPhone then you can get a cheap app to measure 0-60, bhp and torque. You just input vehicle weight and do a few 0-60 runs on a flat road.
Its not a definite answer but it will tell you if you have a good engine or not.
Have'nt got an iphone, but you have just given me an idea. I'm sure that my software in the faultmate give a live torque reading :think: :think: Thanks Russell.

#13 ·
Col said:
Thank you Col. I have just checked my car 01 hse 4.6 and it starts in 59 as well. So I'm definately dealing with a 4.6 in a 4.0 lt p38. Thanks again Russell.

#15 ·
SID said:
Found on RAVE that older 4.6 engines like mine have a spacer on the crankshaft sensor, not much use to you at the moment but you never know...........

SID.
Thanks Sid. Russell.

#16 ·
Many thanks for the codes on factory engines. Now I know what my next free moment will be spent doing {after I figure out where to look} This site never ceases to amaze me. :)

#17 ·
diff said:
Many thanks for the codes on factory engines. Now I know what my next free moment will be spent doing {after I figure out where to look} This site never ceases to amaze me. :)
Pretty good huh :thumb: go to your dip stick look down to where it enters the block, then look slightly to the left and you'll see a machined surface with the engine number stamped :clap: :clap: Russell.

#18 ·
Tim (Scotland) said:
Hi Tim,

What's the name of this app?

Cheers

Flo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.