RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With kids I think the soft close doors are worth it. But any input on whether head’s up display is worth $1300? Does it display info from Apple CarPlay? Any input and thoughts would be appreciated. I had it once on a BMW M5 but hardly ever used it. Not sure if today’s tech has changed. This would be likely for a MY20 RRS HST. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
298 Posts
I like it a lot. Shows everything you need both on and off road

·
Registered
746 Posts
Have it, not blown away by it. I don't think it's a must-have feature. Cool factor, once you get over the honey moon phase, it's just there. I would prefer if it can display CarPlay navigation info on it, that would be helpful. Now that I have it, seems like I could live without it, also don't regret it. Just meh.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
70 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car without it (assuming it's an option). Coupled with the display of the speed limit, I think it's one of the better convenience features of modern cars.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
910 Posts
I don't have it but I have driven an X5 with it. Don't like it.

I do like the soft close doors that I have but I think the kids and eye close the doors enough already that the soft close rarely engages. Its a bit of a learning curve after closing doors on a car for decades.

I never use cruise control so my likes and dislikes drastically differ from a lot of people.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My bimmer had it, I thought I would miss it on my RRS, but I really don't. Bought the Bimmer CPO, so it already had it. Would personally spend the money on the Velocity chip. Oh wait...I did that already :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm glad I have it and have no regrets ordering it. But if I didn't have it, I wouldn't love the car any less.
The speed and speed limit showing is a big plus along with the flash of a song title. But as stated, would be great if it showed Carplay navigation like the native navigation does. I'd order it again.

(My only regret is not ordering the tow hitch receiver. Don't know what I was thinking. Why this isn't a standard feature on a SUV is beyond me. But...that's for another thread...)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Definitely love mine for nothing more than the speed indicator and limit indicator.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Yes to each theie own but I really missed my heated windshield last winter. Not so much this winter. But the trick is to look through your windshield not at it. My first vehicle with a heated windshield was a Hummer which had a 89 degree angle windshield. I guess I got used to it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One more thing to add for you more vehicles are coming out with them so having it in the future for resale is a good thing, when you show people your vehicle that always amazes them. This is one of the better ones on the market so far, the earlier version was not so hot, This one is brighter larger and shows more info than version 1. I like the multi color navigation turn by turn indication, it shows song title name, Who's calling you on the phone as well as speed sign indications. If you choose off road setting it will show you color graphics of your approach and roll angles and also show your compass heading.

In my opinion the price is worth it, it adds to the vehicle, this one actually functions. I looked up a replacement cost for it before i added it to my order and was surprised to see it for over 2 grand so adding it to my order for my enjoyment for 1300 was worth it.

Good luck on your ventures

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good point re: resale but I lease my daily drivers so I always assume there's no upside equity (lol) when it comes time to replace. But yes on a buy, definitely a plus. But your post told me that I need to just go and see this thing in action on an actual car and then decide. It does sound interesting - I do wish it would push CarPlay data to the screen as well. I'm sure future versions will.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
I agree on the HUD. I've had it on my last two Audis, and surprisingly, the one on the 2012 A6 was better than the one on the 2015 A8. That was my biggest disappointment (next to the turbos failing, which was at least covered under warranty) with the A8 - the lack of content available in the HUD compared to a three-years older A6. Supposedly it had to do with the curvature of the windshield on the A8 and distortion. Anyway, the HUD on the RRS is great, in my limited experience. Much more content is displayed vs. my previous cars and the colors are nicer too. I've just gotten used to having the speed displayed on the windshiled and not having to look at the instrument cluster as much.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One thing I think you're forgetting to consider... depending on the specific options available for the specific trims, the HUD display may be part of the Vision Assist Package. So it's not just the HUD display for $1300. At least, when it came to the V8 SC I ordered, the HUD display came with front fog lights and auto high-beam assist. Also, the vision assist package was the only way you could get the configurable ambient lighting on the V8 SC.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes not forgetting this. On the HST there is no Vision pack. HUD is a standalone option.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the HUD and I constantly forget to use it. It's more or less useless during the day when I wear polarized sunglasses that make it almost invisible.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
You can't use polarized sunglasses with a HUD from any manufacturer, I believe - the technology is inherently incompatible with polarized lenses. I bought non-polarized Ray Bans when I got my first vehicle with a HUD and never switched back to polarized.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the HUD in our 2018 RRS. It may be our favorite feature of the vehicle. It shows different things based on what driving mode you are in. Mainly it shows your current speed and the posted speed limit - love that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts