RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a high zinc oil low detergent oil is best for these engines. I honestly have never paid much attention to the oils only that in our newer vehicles I have always used Mobil 1 full synthetic. Would this be ok for the RR. If so, being summer would the 20W50 be ok? And if not what weight would be a good substitute? Thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Ugh... oil choices are like religions. Everyone has an opinion and theirs is always the only correct one. :roll:

If you use the search function you will find pages of synth vs dino, brand vs brand and weight vs weight discussions in the Classic and P38 sections to browse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
94 lwb. put all synthetics, oil and grease in everywhere when I got it at 72,000. Now at 155,000 mechanicals look great. We use to use dino in the race engines (2.o liter Alfa) and rebuilt them as needed. Once synthetics became available we switched. Huge, noticeable difference on the cleanliness inside the engines at rebuilds. So all my cars use Syn, but don't string out the change intervals. It costs more.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
10W-30 is too thin on an older design engine, 20W-50 at least if not thicker. On the recommendation of V8 Developments who built my P38 engine, I'm running 10W-60.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used 10w30 simply because my summers can get to the high 90's (°F) and in the winter sometimes all the way to the -'s but usually single digits (°F). But I'm no expert in oil and oil viscosity so I very well could be off.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
If it gets very cold then the 10W rating is fine but if it gets very hot you want a higher second number. The numbers give the cold and hot equivalents to a straight grade oil so 10W is the same as an SAE 10 oil when cold and the 30 means it is the same as an SAE 30 oil when hot. So for somewhere with extremes of temperature you want a low W number and a high hot number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mobil 1 in the 15W-50 grade has high zinc content. We took our 89 RR to 300,000 miles on a steady diet of that stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I actually bought the Mobil 1 15W-50, gonna try it out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I switched over to Diesel CJ-4 15W40 grade oil a while back in my disco, plan on doing the same in the RRC very soon. Specifically I use Delo-400. I think the oil rating you're really after is HTHS rating... most newer oils for passenger cars have zddp at much lower levels than previous, which helped older cars with flat tappet cams.. Diesel grade oils will provide the required protection..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts