RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 51k on my 11 RRS and I replaced rear rotors and pads with genuine parts at weekend. (Fronts done late last year)

I re-adjusted EPB pads by feel as I did not have socket the correct size for the hub retaining nut in order to check torque.

After bedding in the rear external brake pads I let brakes cool down and completed EPB bedding in procedure. Rear rotors got surprisingly hot but I guess if I am bring a 6000 lb vehicle to a complete halt on one set of drum brakes, they are working hard.

Anyway, I have tested EPB for holding on moderate hill and also engaged at stop lights and when it auto releases its smooth.

I know regular drum brakes self adjust for wear but mechanism on EPB does look not so comprehensive.

As such, I am wondering if there is any self adjusting and clicking over one notch at a time to expand pads as they wear.
David

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
I've never been to scientific about it; engage the pb shoes via the adjusting screw...you can turn the hub w/ a breaker bar wedged between the studs, then I back off on the adjuster ~8 clicks and then cycle the epb a few times. The epb self adjusts.

No further adjustment is needed. Just be sure to cycle it a few times every month to keep the gremlins at bay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worrying update... I may not have backed off adjuster enough. Strong smell of brakes from rear of car when I got to work this morning. I did make one heavy stop and it 'may' just be new rear pads still bedding in but I think I will have to jack up and double check tonight.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
A telltale sign is any discoloration of the gray (if you used OE rotors) hat around the rotor. You don't want to fry the epb module.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, took it all apart. Inspected rotors and brake shoes both sides. No damage and function still good. I think I probably got a little overzealous with the bedding in procedure and over heated everything.

Anyway, completed adjustment process from scratch today and confident they wont bind. I will not bed in again and will just let them auto adjust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts