·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering, doesnt look like it, have a inline 6cyl diesel availible cheap

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interesting question. I was gonna look at a BMW V12 from an old 740IL, they used the same transmission as the RR. Now THAT would be cool! `)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
There were attempts by Schuler Conversions to install a Jaguar 5.3L V12 into the Range in the early 1980's, however, the cost associated with lengthening the engine bay to accomodate the V12 made it uneconomical and Schuler turned thier attention to the American V8's, the Chev 5.7L/ 350ci and the Holden 4.2L/253ci & 5L/ 308ci in Australia.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
77 Posts
There is a swedish company that makes an adapter kit to fit the Mercedes OM603 - a 6 cyl. 3.0L turbo diesel into a range rover classic I think they also have a kit for the VW 2.4L turbo diesel 6, used by Volvo. Both are not small engines.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
The BMW six cylinder diesel has been fitted to the Classic as has some Nissan six cylinder diesels (2.8 and/or 3.3).
I think there is something on the main site about a chevy six cylinder engine.

What six do you want to put in?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whoa hold it! BMW 6 cylinder dieseL never heard of it but i want one!!

It's a big benz 6cyl diesel, dont know the numbers off hand.

I suppose i cold always stick the rad on the roof and make it look like a roofrack if lenght is an issue

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M51
As fitted to the p38 for markets outside of North America. Several were fitted to Classic in the UK, can't remember the name of the company who dod them though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M57
This one went into the L322 in 3.0/172bhp guise for markets outside North America. Wrongapedia doesn't tell you that though.

What's the deal with your merc engine, car or truck?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's in a truck, a unimog 406

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
Wasn't a BMW inline 6-cylinder diesel used in Range Rover Classics in South Africa?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Aaarghh,you crazy people 8-0= Petrol V8 is only engine choice..Diesel folks should go to Discos or Defes... :dance: IMHO i would like to own Defender 110 or 90 with V8 and ZF box but here in Finland it is impossible find one....unless you convert td5 model or older...not cheap :evil:

Rgds:Jukka
RR92 Westminster 4.6
-73 Rover P6 3500Si(dreaming to convert to ZF autobox..needs cash)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Granny said:
Wasn't a BMW inline 6-cylinder diesel used in Range Rover Classics in South Africa?
If i remember right there was Bimmer powered Defenders(petrol 6)..
Rgds:Jukka
PS:Was it 2.8litre..

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
bandit86 said:
it's in a truck, a unimog 406
Run away.
The engine's too big, too heavy, too low geared and (if its an older one) not powerful enough.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking more along the lines ot transplanting my classic body on top of a unimog frame

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Is it even vaguely the same size?
What's the wheelbase, length and track?
I'd say that even if it is about the same size then you'll have a lot of butchering of the classic to do, a lot of custom gear linkages and control lines to make and it may be easier to build a custom flip front for the Range Rover.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the 406 is 114 inches, the classic SWB is 100, which means the wheelwells can be split to allow for articulation.

I was contemplating the 404 or 406 axles in a rover, more fabbing and engineering then I have time ofr, but straight body swap is easy

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
If you want to keep the engine in the rover's engine bay then you'd have an odd bit at the back, and probably have to raise the rover shell above the lever the merc body was at.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
The Range Rover body either on Unimog chassis or at least with Unimog axles has been done. In Finland, of course. I think it had a Chrysler V8, was bobtailed, and shortened. I just looked at two videos of Mog-axled RRCs on U-Tube and neither was the one I'd seen in the past.

I wouldn't mind a diesel so much in my Classic, provided it had prodigious power and torque. I'd be thinking along the lines of the V10 used in the VW Touareg, with its 6-speed tiptronic gearbox, as well. Needless to say, the entire driveline would require major upgrades!

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Granny said:
I wouldn't mind a diesel so much in my Classic, provided it had prodigious power and torque. I'd be thinking along the lines of the V10 used in the VW Touareg, with its 6-speed tiptronic gearbox, as well. Needless to say, the entire driveline would require major upgrades!
Will that be ready for this years meet at John's? :mrgreen:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
No, it won't. I just meant that I'd take such a Rover as a gift. I'm no fabricator. I'll stick to constructing buildings. Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with my RRC the way it is and surely don't need to think up ways to spend more money on it! If I were going to put mog axles under something I think it would be a Foers Ibex.

BTW, my son just bought a 2002 Disco II SE7. Maybe next time at John's he'll come along, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts