Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is adaptive cruise control retrofittable? + intelligent emergency braking?

Is adaptive cruise control retrofittable on a 2014 Range Rover? A dealer has one coming my way and it's the only feature I really wanted in my next Suv that is missing.
I would also like to know more about intelligent emergency braking. Does it work full time? Or only when the cruise control is on?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
Re: Is adaptive cruise control retrofittable? + intelligent emergency braking?

Is adaptive cruise control retrofittable on a 2014 Range Rover? A dealer has one coming my way and it's the only feature I really wanted in my next Suv that is missing.
I would also like to know more about intelligent emergency braking. Does it work full time? Or only when the cruise control is on?
I sincerely doubt you could retrofit. Too many complex interfaces with the vehicle systems.
The intelligent autonomous braking is a feature of the adaptive control that works at city speeds at all times even without the cruise control engaged. It's one of the best and most important aspects of the system.
I love the adaptive cruise control. It really works and would advise you to bypass a RR that does not have it. You will be forever regretting not waiting for it.
As an aside, the feature I really want in the RR which would make it complete for me: active lane assist (not simply lane departue warning) Once the RR has this it will be on a level playing field with the Mercedes S550 Driver Assist.
I'm pretty sure this tech is "off the shelf" from its supplier and I'm not sure why JLR has stopped short on this option.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

Why buy something that doesn't have the options/features you want? Specially when spending a large amount of money for a RR. I never use any type of cruise control, but my husband will never buy a new vehicle without ACC. My current suv, a 2010 Acura MDX, has the autonomous braking. It is a great feature and has come in handy a few times. The Acura is going to become the spare/teen car and I'm glad it has that feature for our soon to be new teen driver. Distractions happen, and this feature can help prevent an accident or at the worst case help reduce the speed before impact.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Why buy something that doesn't have the options/features you want?
I'm in a smaller Porsche Cayenne GTS and it is too small for my growing family. I'm expecting twins and I already have a kid in a booster. I also want to air out the car before the new kids come, I really don't like my 6 yr old exposed to the new car smell either. I'm afraid I won't have time to wait on order. I either get a Range Rover that is specced very ideal except the ACC w emergency braking or an Escalade fully loaded. Those are the 2 I've narrowed it down to.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

If I was at your stage in life (mine are teens now) I would go for the Escalade with a real 3rd row. The twins are going to take up the middle seat and an adult could sit in the middle of them and feed/take care of them, while your 6 year old would have his own space in the third row ... he'll appreciate his space when the twins are 1-3 years old and can physically reach him if he was in the middle of them. You might also need the extra seats if you need to bring a friend along for the 6 year old.

The MDX had the third row and we used it quite a bit for carrying friends for playdates. My youngest is just turning 13, already is 5'5", so he and his friends are getting too big to fit in the third row. Will be getting a 2015 RR in January, which will give the kids a more comfortable second row of seats and I get more luxury and a bigger engine. Win-win!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts

I'm in a smaller Porsche Cayenne GTS and it is too small for my growing family. I'm expecting twins and I already have a kid in a booster. I also want to air out the car before the new kids come, I really don't like my 6 yr old exposed to the new car smell either. I'm afraid I won't have time to wait on order. I either get a Range Rover that is specced very ideal except the ACC w emergency braking or an Escalade fully loaded. Those are the 2 I've narrowed it down to.
I own an escalade and RRS. you can't be wrong in getting an escalade. the premium comes with the ACC/driver assist and emergency braking. the platinum comes with 8 speed, new badges and leather and grille.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts