RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts would be on buying..

I have 2 potential cars at the same garage, a 2010 autobiography sport with 55k on the clock FSH, one owner bla bla bla for £22500.

Then there's a 2011 RR sport with a full onyx convertion for £23.5k, again FSH etc.. Looks immaculate however this has 90k on the clock.

Theres no doubt the onyx edition is a one off and incredible to look at however this will be my first range rover, and my first car that i've bought with over 10k miles on so I'm a little new and wary to what i'm looking for..

Any advice?

Thanks,
ryan

·
Registered
116 Posts
My current RRS is a 2008, and at 94k miles, runs/feels like a brand new car. Of course, dealer serviced most of its life.

You need to get and check the service history.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Lots of things can need replacing between 55 and 90k .... so if those were done - 90k might be fine ....

For example were control arms (or bushings) replaced ? Battery ? Brake and tire condition ? Any other major components ? Transmission fluids ?

If these weren’t done on the 55k car - they are probably due soon and you need to factor that into the price. If they were done recently on the 90k car you could be good for another 60k plus ......

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
My 2011 had close to 105,000 when I traded it in. The only "major" thing that was replaced and that was around the 98k mark was 1 injector.

Definitely better reliability than the typical, "Land Rovers are always in the shop," bs that the car "experts" continuously write about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch but I did do a fair amount of research before purchasing mine. Actually I did so much research that instead of shelling out to purchase a 2013 Range I bought a 2008 with 118,000 miles on a great deal. It is in perfect condition, dealer serviced it's whole life. I went to my own dealer LR dealer and instead of hosing me, they found nothing wrong.. changed the oil and came away happy. From what I understand these engines are legit and though everybody says "proper preventative yadda yadda any engine etc but that def holds true with these beasts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In my opinion a good service history and other signs that the owner(s) cared about the car is far more important than the number of miles.
I was recently looking to buy a gently used supercharged L320. I was excited to find a 2013 with only 43k miles on the clock yet I turned it down fast after I saw it. It was totally used up already.
You're talking about a car that someone probably cost someone like $90k new just 4 years ago, yet it had a dent in the rear bumper that someone had spooned in some bondo and brush-painted, the interior leather had multiple rips, several speaker grilles were kicked in, the wood and plastic trim was scratched to hell etc, it had mismatched cheap-ass tyres, and as far as I could tell, it had only ever had 2 oil changes. Owning that car would have been nothing but trouble and reliability issues from day 1.
I ended up spending about the same money on an obviously well-loved car that was a year older and had 15k more miles on the clock, and I'm still sure that I made the right decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts