RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been search for a way but could not find relevant on this forum. Founds this elsewhere:

Just figured one out today. If you know what a FM modulator is, you can basically get one of those, and have it hardwired into the radio antenna. That way, you can input anything from a RCA plug.

The antenna is in the back of the car, near where the CD changer is. There are two black cables connected with red block looking connectors to the left of the CD changer. The FM modulator goes in there. You can get the FM Modulator, and converter plugs to convert the antenna to the Land Rover square type, these can be bought as BestBuy.

Plug it all in, hook the positive up, ground the negative, then run a 12ft 3.5mm (headphone cable male on both ends) all the way to the front, under the carpet. I used the Belkin ipod connector. It charges the ipod as well as plays music through it. Then where the Belkin unit plugs into the cigarette lighter, there's a female 3.5mm where the cable you ran plugs in, or plugs into your ipod.

Then wallah! You're done. I can give detailed write-ups if necessary. Otherwise, it's really not that hard if you know basic audio wires etc. The trick for me was finding those plugs for the antenna. But that's where they are.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
You don't even need to hardwire it into the antenna cable - there are plenty of FM modulators out there designed to work with the vehicle's antenna. I've got one - just a matchbox sized thing that attaches to the headphone jack of my iPhone/Pod whatever. FM has a significant quality loss over real hardwiring, tho....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple+-+Apple®+iPod®+Adapter+for+Most+Vehicle+Radios/9252122.p?skuId=9252122&IcsCsid=2-39-514-25-5-30763-28180-25-514-566-25-514-2187-0-2&id=1218068779609

iSimple - Apple® iPod® Adapter for Most Vehicle Radios

Use this adapter to connect your Apple iPod to the FM radio in your car and rock out to the tunes stored on your iPod while you're on the road.

What's Included
iSimple Apple® iPod® Adapter for Most Vehicle Radios
Wired FM transmitter with stereo RCA input
iPod A/V cable, 3.5mm dash/panel mount audio input cable, 3.5-to-3.5mm audio cable, 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter
Owner's manual

Product Features:

Compatible with most FM-equipped vehicle radios
Including factory and aftermarket models.
Ideal for use with most iPod models and iPhone 3G
Transmits stereo audio from your iPod or iPhone 3G to your car's FM radio for listening to your favorite tunes on the road.
Provides video output
From video-capable iPod models.
Charges iPod while you listen to music
For added convenience.
6' cord length
For optimal placement in your vehicle.

Complete kit together with instructions $89.99 !

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's a lot of money for what it is. You can get FM modulators for under $15.- and an Ipod/Iphone AV adapter for around $5 (not original - but iSimple ain't either). Cheaper and the same effect is a headphone jack cable. You aren't charging the phone or anything so there is no advantage to going out the bottom vs. the top (headphones).

You're paying for packaging and the iCapitalizing on the iBrand. :(

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stevemfr said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's a lot of money for what it is. You can get FM modulators for under $15.- and an Ipod/Iphone AV adapter for around $5 (not original - but iSimple ain't either). Cheaper and the same effect is a headphone jack cable. You aren't charging the phone or anything so there is no advantage to going out the bottom vs. the top (headphones).

You're paying for packaging and the iCapitalizing on the iBrand. :(
You may well be right but £60 for a complete kit than an amateur can fit that leaves them able to play their ipod via the in car entertainment system is probably going to be attractive to some non DIY/Mechanics/Electricians. Otherwise you can just ignore the post :D

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Oh - and you really do need to compare sound quality. FM loses quite a bit (radio too).(BTW, whatever happened to the 'Edit' button on this forum?)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stevemfr said:
Oh - and you really do need to compare sound quality. FM loses quite a bit (radio too).(BTW, whatever happened to the 'Edit' button on this forum?)
Interesting thanks - does that included Hard Wired FM rather than Radio FM?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
'Hard wired' FM is the same thing as not - except that the reception might be better. That's why iSimple pumps into the antenna connection. I've not tried too many FM modulators, but mine functions so well from inside of the car that I can hardly imagine a modulator in the antenna cable doing better. I do lose reception walking away from the car (I've tried... :doh: ). FM loses quite a bit of bass and treble no matter how good reception is. This is something I only noticed after having CD's over car stereos - cassettes don't cut it either.
It depends a little on your listening habits too: low volumes in a car and you won't hear a difference due to background noise. At higher volumes you really hear a difference. Check for yourself and you can decide.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stevemfr said:
'Hard wired' FM is the same thing as not - except that the reception might be better. That's why iSimple pumps into the antenna connection. I've not tried too many FM modulators, but mine functions so well from inside of the car that I can hardly imagine a modulator in the antenna cable doing better. I do lose reception walking away from the car (I've tried... :doh: ). FM loses quite a bit of bass and treble no matter how good reception is. This is something I only noticed after having CD's over car stereos - cassettes don't cut it either.
It depends a little on your listening habits too: low volumes in a car and you won't hear a difference due to background noise. At higher volumes you really hear a difference. Check for yourself and you can decide.

Will give it a try - many thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts