RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

I have a 2010 RRS HSE and I just connected and old iPhone 2G to use it as an ipod to listen to music.

The iPhone 2G is charged with no issues using the supplied cable and music plays without a problem. The only potential issue I see is that when turning the ignition off the iPhone still shows the little "battery charging" icon which worries me because it could drain the car's battery.

Anybody having the same issue? Any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my 2010 and iPhone 2G. But, I've also heard the iPhone make the little chirp noise (when it is plugged in) the moment I open the car door. That made me think the car will run power to the phone when the car is on and when you are entering and exiting the vehicle. I haven't actually watched the phone long enough to verify whether it actually stops charging after some amount of time.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That's what I was thinking, perhaps the accessory connections on 2010s are designed to retain power for xx minutes after you turn off the ignition? It would be better than the 2006-9 accessory 12v outlets, which all switch off immediately along with the ignition (although there is a workaround.) Knowing how power hungry and sensitive these cars' electronics are at startup, I would be surprised if anything electrical in the car remained juiced up long after the ignition key was removed, but perhaps for the iPod/iPhone connector they made an exception since the draw would be negligible anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As well as the suggestions posted, you could inquire with Apple that when the i-phone is completely charged the unit itself will stop drawing power or cut to an insignificant trickle that would not be an issue if the vehicle was driven regularly.

I had a 1985 Jeep CJ7. If I parked it for two weeks, the little red flashing light for the alarm would end up draining the battery. I have found that even a small draw can eventually cause problems in many cases if you store the vehicle for any amount of time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked what Sport2010 said and he is right. Everytime I turn on the car the iphone does the start up sound, which means the iphone is turned off before I start the car.

Thanks to all who replied

·
Registered
20 Posts
The auxiliary power ports retain power until the car is locked. So your iPhone will continue to charge even when the car is off. Once you lock the car from the outside via the keyfob or the door handle button, the power to all the auxiliary ports immediately shut off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts