RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all --

After lurking on here for a number of months, I finally bit the bullet and bought an 06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

I have to start by saying this board has a wealth of info -- and I have spent the last eek searching the FAQ's and old posts and have learned alot.

I have managed to get my 3gs to pair using the 2121 code -- and it works well. -- The only problem I have is I would like to be able to use the ipod portion of my iphone to play music through the LR system.

I read in the faq's about using the aux rear entertainment system plug throught the phone jack, but this doesn't charge the phone -- and then there's the volume difference issue when the phone rings.

So I was wondering:

1) has anyone managed to create a really clean looking install for their iphone in their Sport ? -- something that can charge it, and play music through the factory Harman Kardon system.

2) Can the Land Rover (LR004805) be modified to accept a different cradle?

3) If I use the VPLAE001 kit can I still use the iphone controls in addition to the steering wheel controls ? -- or does this kit render the iphone's controls useless ?

Thanks in advance

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,458 Posts
Welcome!

The first generation audio connectivity module does work with the Iphone, it allows it to charge, and the Ipod of the Iphone also can be controlled thru the steering wheel controls as well as directly on the Iphone.

In order for the Iphone to lay "flat" in the cradle, all you have to do is gently push back on the top hook of the cradle which is used to snap in other generations of Ipods...it doesn't need to be broken off.

In that fashion, you can still use your Ipod if you have one, or alternatively just the Iphone...and it charges as well. The only thing you'll find with the Iphone is that if the battery is beyond a certain point of discharge, the audio connectivity module doesn't have the juice to charge it, so you'll need to keep another charger, or alternatively use the USB port which is part of the system (installled in the glove box) to charge.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, PJPR01

How much % does it have to get to before it stops charging ?-- and does this kit work with the 3gs ?

(Sorry--just posted on the other thread asking which kit you had -- but you can just reply on this one to keep it easy to follow)

Are you running the VPLAE0001 or the LR004805 ?

is the only difference between the 2 kits the cradle or lack thereof ?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,458 Posts
The battery has to be on red...anything on green, and it still charges for me so far, so that's almost at the end of the charge.

Good question on the 3GS...not sure about that since mine is 3G...will have to try it with a friend's to see if that works...but unless the charging mechanism is different, I should imagine it works.

Sorry I don't recall the part #, but it's the ACM with the cradle...probably Umberto can help with the difference between the 2 kits...as I haven't seen the new one since I bought this one. Forgot to take pictures, but this version also has the RF jacks and USB port mounted in the glove box, so that's an additional source for power.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PJPR01 said:
The battery has to be on red...anything on green, and it still charges for me so far, so that's almost at the end of the charge.

Good question on the 3GS...not sure about that since mine is 3G...will have to try it with a friend's to see if that works...but unless the charging mechanism is different, I should imagine it works.

Sorry I don't recall the part #, but it's the ACM with the cradle...probably Umberto can help with the difference between the 2 kits...as I haven't seen the new one since I bought this one. Forgot to take pictures, but this version also has the RF jacks and USB port mounted in the glove box, so that's an additional source for power.
Thanks for the info.

do you know how the cradle connects to the rest of the kit ? -- is it a usb plug?

I have see pics of the LR cradle, and (no offense o those that have it) -- but in the pics it looks like the car kit I had for my Motorola DPC 550 back in '91.

I was thinking there could be a cleaner install option -- maybe something like this?

http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/-st ... Detail.bok

and I like the fact that it would hideaway if I installed in in the LR cupholder. Closing the cupholder cover is handy to prevent thieves with prying eyes from smashing a window to look for the ipod they might think is in the car

The only negative with this is the lack of swivelling capability for iphone GPS/ google maps.-- and for that I was considering this option, and attaching a swivel mount that is very modern and clean looking (if I can find one)

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath= ... ftorright=

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The cradle has a proprietary hookup to the main module. The Land Rover ACM kit (as far as I can tell, the only difference between "early" and current kits is the cradle, no longer available on the current kit, and perhaps increased compatibility with later gen Apple products on the newer unit) is a rebadged Dension Ice Link module.

Picture of the inputs on the ACM module. The round one on the left is the connector for the iPod cable, whether it comes with a cradle at the other end or not. :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks umbertob--I gotta say - you must be a LR master tech or omething -- because I have learned more from lurking around here and reading your posts over the last few months than alot of techs. Keep up the good work -- it's appreciated.

As far as the kits go...so the round plug either outputs to the LR cradle on the old one or to a male ipod charging cable on the new one ?

1) Do you know if the Denison Ice link module exactly the same as the LR one? I wonder if it's not a better way to go.

2) Do you know if - on the new kit or the old one -the Iphone screen controls are still usable?(this one's pretty important to me)

3) What would happen if you took a regular phone charging cable and just plugged into the USB -- would it still work ? (ie steering controls, etc)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
1. I think Dension only manufactures the Land Rover branded ACM - they don't sell their own "version" as they do for many other automobile brands. If you check out Densions' web site you will see Land Rover is conspicuously absent among the list of supported brands... It could be part of the agreement between them and LR in exchange for the LR private label business?

2. Yes, you will retain full control of the iPod while it is plugged into the ACM. The controls on the steering wheel are quite rudimentary to begin with, so you kind of need access to the iPod if you want to play a certain artist / playlist / track, etc. Of course, if the iPod is tucked away in the glove box as the new cradle-free version of the ACM recommends, logistics get more complicated. As unsightly as the old cradle looks, at least my iPod is within arm's reach behind the steering wheel.

3. I am pretty sure you can only use steering wheel controls when connecting a flash drive or similar memory stick device to the USB port that comes as part of the ACM. You can't play or control an iPod/iPhone through it (although you could probably charge it that way.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
umbertob said:
1. I think Dension only manufactures the Land Rover branded ACM - they don't sell their own "version" as they do for many other automobile brands. If you check out Densions' web site you will see Land Rover is conspicuously absent among the list of supported brands... It could be part of the agreement between them and LR in exchange for the LR private label business?

2. Yes, you will retain full control of the iPod while it is plugged into the ACM. The controls on the steering wheel are quite rudimentary to begin with, so you kind of need access to the iPod if you want to play a certain artist / playlist / track, etc. Of course, if the iPod is tucked away in the glove box as the new cradle-free version of the ACM recommends, logistics get more complicated. As unsightly as the old cradle looks, at least my iPod is within arm's reach behind the steering wheel.

3. I am pretty sure you can only use steering wheel controls when connecting a flash drive or similar memory stick device to the USB port that comes as part of the ACM. You can't play or control an iPod/iPhone through it (although you could probably charge it that way.)
Very interesting

Have you ever plugged an iphone into your kit ? -- and does it charge as well as have all of the other functions?

Not 100% on this but - I had heard that the new kit VPLAE0001 allowed for charging of the iphone due to the change with the firewire cable harging issue, and was backwards compatible with older ipods -- but I'm not sure if the reverse of that is true (forward charging compatibility of the old LR004805 kit with the iphone 3g).Any ideas?

Like you, I also want to maintain my iphone within easy reach -- and have heard that some auto manufacturer kits immediately disable the controls on the iphone for the ipod portion because they mandate steering wheel control use ONLY -- for legal reasons.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PJPR01 said:

I woner if this charging issue is resolved with the iphone 3gs on the new kit VPLAE0001?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my research, the chronology of these kits as I can best make it out is this:

Version LR Model # Description

1.0 --- LR002787
2.0 --- LR004805 --- Has a cradle
3.0 --- LR006792
4.0 --- VPLAE0001 --- No cradle
5.0 --- VPLFE0002

It would be great if we could list out what has changed in each kit and add it to the FAQ's once the description fields can be filled out in greater detail on all of these. Anyone with info on these -- please provide any info you have about these kits

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,458 Posts
Lone Rangerover said:
PJPR01 said:

I woner if this charging issue is resolved with the iphone 3gs on the new kit VPLAE0001?
Post back up here once you have the new version kit installed, I'd be curious to know as well if it has improved the charging as well.

The cup holder ipod connections are pretty cool and clean, and it would be nice to have a less bulky mount to be sure (had to chuckle at the Motorola comment, it's true), but 3 good things about having the Iphone up high. One, you preserve a cup holder, so both driver and passenger can keep drinks if needed or other item stored there, also the angle of the Iphone in the cup holder lends itself to breaking off, and for me at least, I like to see what's playing, who's calling without having to look down. At the angle it's mounted today, it's easy to use the Iphone without taking my eyes off the road...

Cheers...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good points about being able to see without having to look down too much and easier access to the music.

Sacrificing the cupholder is not too big a deal for me but the other 2 are certainly points that I have given me cause for pause.

I'm thinking that the ashtray or cupholder mount if sufficiently angled should be relatively easy to see.

But if I could find a really minimalist clean cradle that could be placed in a better location for visibility wihout looking too unsightly -I'd certainly consider it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well-- I bought a LR006792.

Interestingly enough, the instruction manual has 2 parts to it, one for the LR006792, and one for the LR004805.

I took all the parts out and laid them out to compare them to the drawings for what was supposed to be in the 4805, and the only difference that I can see is that the LR006792 comes with 2 wiring harnesses, where as the instruction manual for the 4805 only shows that install requiring one.

It's difficult to say which one would go with which kit, because the manual is black and white.

The first harness is labelled:

DE35LRV002
Power Harness for L359 LR
ACM

The second harness is labelled:

DE35LRV001
Power Harness for L319, L320
LR ACM

It also has a label on it that says:

DE35LRV001
1PC
BATCH NO: PR070203189

I figured if I buy the latest model with the cradle, it will allow , me to substitute a more aesthetically pleasing cradle solution.

Anyone know what these 2 harnesses do differently in terms of their functionality

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very interesting learned something new about the internal model identifiers

What's intriguing is that in the instruction book for the LR006792 -- it refers to one of the harnesseses as the "HI LINE" and one as the "LO LINE"

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Could be. In markets abroad Land Rover offers several audio system options on lesser trims of the RRS, while here in North America we only get their top-of-the-line (Hi Line) Harman Kardon Logic7 system as standard issue on both HSE and S/C models. It would not surprise me if the LR2 "Low Line" labeled harness in your kit may also be used to hook up the ACM on stereo systems found in S and SE trims of the Sport in other countries. I am pretty sure you'd use the "Hi Line" harness on your RRS, though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aaaahhh that makes sense.

I've been staring at the landrover cradle for a few days and get past just how Fugly it is

in the newer kits, is the cradle just replaced with a cable with an ipod / iPhone connecter on the other end?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Once it's mounted on the dash with an iPod in it, it's not so bad. :wink: Yeah, the newer kits only have the iPod plug (which you supposedly leave in the glove box... good luck with that setup), no cradle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts