RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello P38 fellow-drivers,

Brief intro: Name: Sjoerd, second owner of a 1997 P38 4,6 HSE 200K Km's, nice condition but some work needed, and the usual neglect (pollen filter etc.) after being taken out of prime-service schedule by a friend of mine.

Thank you for the info available on the forum :clap: , it has helped me a LOT fixing an hard EAS error by buying a cable and using the fantastic EASunlock software. Prior to the P38 we drove a Series IIA LWB and a '91 classic range, Vogue SE, so I do have some experience with all things landrover and Range Rover. The EAS is completely new for me.

The EAS fault appeared 6 days ago. After seeing the EAS fault we drove around vor several deys (small distances). The car was on the bumpstops after 3 days. After resetting everything seems normal. The error code which was stored in the EAS was: "RR valve stuck closed". After reset the EAS started. When running the compressor (door open) it ran fine. After about 8 minutes it ran in interval (overheat??)

My plan is to change teflon ring and sleeve in compressor. Also I want to clean the compressor air filter.
- Do you have any other suggestion?
- Can I just prise the air filter canister open, or is there an alterative for the EAS compressor air filter??
- There is still a book-icon on the main console. Can I clear that??

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Hello and Welcome,

Firstly, where are you located (is your name a clue :) ? This helps sometimes.

Secondly, try not to drive too much on the bump stops - not good for the stops or the air bags.

I have now changed out the majority of my eas system, but still have a slow leak in a rear bag, which I wish I had found before!

You can remove the comp air filter by unscrewing it, then prising off the lid.

The book icon is to do with the heating a/c system and can be cleared professional (unless you buy a fault mate and do it yourself).

I think that the valve fault message may be misleading, but Dennis will surely advise.

Good luck.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
I think that the valve fault message may be misleading, but Dennis will surely advise.

Good luck.
:) "right rear valve stuck shut" in LandRover = "compressor worn out" in English.

The ECU isn't smart enough to know that the compressor can be slow, couple that with leaks and it's all confused. The ECU assumes that running compressor = full tank. If there's no air in the tank when it tries to lift, it doesn't understand why it's not lifting and assumes that a valve isn't opening. The Right Rear is the first to be lifted, so that's the code it will throw.

I recommend a block rebuild at the same time, and have a good look at your springs, they may need to be replaced as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts