RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A quick introduction as I just now joined your site.

I am a Dutchman who lived in the UK for many years (and caught the Land Rover - older style - bug there). Restored some LR Series while in the UK and still have a '72 stored in France. Now in Texas for a few years, currently driving an LR3 for convenience and comfort. Wife has a Jeep and we have a classic Mercedes on the side as well.

Been longing for a classic Range Rover for many years, but never really had the chance. Then about 2 weeks ago I was in a local Houston Junk yard for some Mercedes part when I spotted a sorry looking yellow/sand SWB range rover under a shabby tarp parked up in a corner and inquired with the owner. He told me he recovered the car from a local house 3 years ago that was being sold. He said it looked good inside but was partly dismantled so I have a good poke around. I did some research and found it was a 1984 direct import to Houston. Registered in Houston in Sept 1984 with 15 miles on the clock. Last road registration 1994. 41k on the clock now. Immaculate interior with engine partly dismantled. Stromberg carbs, Autotrans, AC and a bunch of extra's. Tons of spares in the back in Land Rover boxes all dated 1996. No title no keys etc. This car sat in a garage for 20 years and then at a junkyard for another 3.

Needless to say I to rescue this one and trailer it home. It is in my garage in advanced stages of restoration.

I am working on several fronts at the same time:

1) Title recovery (done). I reverse engineered the key from the ignition tumbler, easy job took maybe 2 hours.
2) Engine top end (3.5) looks really good inside. One head was already removed and stripped. I removed the other and found an burned out exhaust valve. The spare packaged contains EVERYTHING for a full overhaul including seats and guides. Sent it all to a shop for refurb etc.
3) Engine bottom end, looks real clean but the shells were a little worn so I change them out with new standard
4) Distributor missing so bought a electronic
5) Carbs look ok with lots of spares. Bunch of missing bits on the air intake side. But also included is a performance manifold so I bought a Holley 390 and will fit that instead. Need to make kickdown cable bracket. I am also fitting an exhaust gas sense so I can tune the carb easily.
6) Fuel tank badly rusted, just bought a new tank in the UK ($140 + shipping)
7) Brakes all new disk and pads were fitted, need to bleed, for now I let it be
8) Shock rubbers are shot - replacing shocks. Rubbers on sway bars are shot will change.
9) New tires since the current ones are from 1992...
10) I will need to address the sagging headlining but otherwise interior is unmarked, complete and very 80's
11) AC holds gas, but will need to go over and restore before the Houston summer.
12) Some of the window rubbers are poorly - but will address later
13) Safety test in Texas is easy and no emission requirements for older than 25yrs.
14) There is no structural rust (texas), but I plan to coat the chassis as it seems there is very little paint.

Well, I will make sure I will be back here to report on progress and ask questions.

Best regards, WhatsApp Image 2018-02-03 at 15.16.23.jpg IMG_0827.JPG

·
Registered
218 Posts
One of slowest Range Rovers....in the world.

Good luck restoring it, pre-RRNA imports, especially 4-doors are beyond rare.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes headliner needs doing, but last on the list for now. Struggling a little finding the parts that went missing when the PO took half the engine apart 20 years ago. Need to improvise a little for the PS pump pulley for instance.. Will get there. Still plan to reassemble the engine this weekend and see if I can get her to fire up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to have a very similar 3 speed Schuler auto. Got the little fella into Land Rovers at an early age :thumb:
Hi BigJ, Nice - I take it your son has taken a liking for Land Rovers now. My son is talking about Ferrari's but he know he really only want a LandRover. Out of interest what do they they call that colour? Is it Sand Gold? There seems to be a fair few shades of that around. Also I noticed that the rubber side strip are thicker and more rubbery than the later plastic type. I have the left rear door strip missing and I cannot find them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi BigJ, Nice - I take it your son has taken a liking for Land Rovers now. My son is talking about Ferrari's but he know he really only want a LandRover. Out of interest what do they they call that colour? Is it Sand Gold? There seems to be a fair few shades of that around. Also I noticed that the rubber side strip are thicker and more rubbery than the later plastic type. I have the left rear door strip missing and I cannot find them.
I’ve heard it called Shetland Beige but as you say there are variants of the colour.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My restoration is coming together nicely, I insured and registered the car to be able to make some more decent test drives.

First call of duty for Rangy: Picking up some Mulch as Lowes

20180410_133541.jpg

All went well (nice drive), but on the way home the temperature kept on climbing and the electric fans were working overtime. It is not even summer proper here in Houston. So I am taking out the radiator for an overhaul.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting to close to completion now.
IMG_2811_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0_100mm_7.1_400s_resize.JPG IMG_2810_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0_117mm_7.1_200s_resize.JPG IMG_2808_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0_112mm_7.1_200s_resize.JPG IMG_2806_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0_142mm_7.1_200s_resize.JPG sing
Got the side rubber strip done. Thick rubber strip which even in the UK is no longer available so I fashioned the missing part (door behind driver door) from a rubber bar.

The paint recovered well after some polishing and wax. Not show room, but I do like a bit of patina.

The list of work inside the car is just endless. Missing parts and those that were there we mostly not working. Rebuild the complete engine and after trying a carburetor (too many missing bits to use to original double stromberg) I installed a Holley Sniper throttle body EFI. VERY NICE!

IMG_2841_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0_45mm_5.0_15s_resize.JPG IMG_2840_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0_28mm_5.0_20s_resize.JPG

Still more to do, but for now it is driving and I am going to use a bit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts