RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Sheri, and I'm hopefully about a week away from owning my first Range Rover. My car history is Toyota 4Runner, Saab Viggen, Volvo XC90, Acura RDX, and now (almost), a pre-owned 2013 Range Rover Spor, which I'm very excited aboutt. I'm neck-deep in the shopping research process, and this forum has been very helpful. So thank you all. :) And nice to meet you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Sheri!
These cars are fantastic to have and drive but in general they cost more in upkeep and repair than the ones you had owned. Below you will find my recommendations after owning one for 2.5 years.
1. These trucks need to be serviced properly by a qualified shop using OEM parts.
2. Don't purchase one with high milage.
3. Try to purchase from the first owner. One who is a gentle driver and cared about maintaining the truck.
4. Extended bumper to bumper warranty is a must. You will thank me later!
5. Avoid buying a supercharged. HSE or HSE LUX have ample power.
6. Avoid buying one with modification to ECU or in general, heavy modifications of any sort.
7. Check the history before purchasing.
8. Take it to a shop that is willing to check it head to toe. It cost me a lot because my former shop said he only checked if the truck would pass certification.

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The good news is, with the 2013 you will skip over the issues with the timing chains, and being the last of the series the truck will enjoy all the improvements LR dialed in over the years.

I couldn't agree more with RRSJack's advice. Especially on the warranty and avoiding a supercharged model. Not taking a thing away from those, but the naturally aspirated engines will throw these 5800lb monsters all over the place...plenty of power.

Keep in mind you will have fewer options for, and more costly repairs than your Toyota or Acura. I still have my 2000 4Runner Limited 4x4 and I wouldn't expect any LR to ever come close as far as reliability and low-cost ownership.

Having said that, there is just something special that comes over you when you hop up on the seat of one of these beautiful Sports.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, welcome.
I'd like to second RRSJack with few additions.
1. It is generally assumed that Supercharger does not affect a reliability but is a lot more fun to drive.
2. Unfortunately CPO extends warranty to make it 7 Years / 100,000 ml and most CPOs for 2013 would be done by now, mine expired in October. But there are couple of Aftermarket warranties that have descent reviews, if you talk to them before you buy their product, ask to reply in writing what would their actions be if Engine dies out, Tranny goes, Airstrut, Hydraulic Sway bar needs replacement, and if they cover diagnostic. I've read that some horror stories where warranty provider insisted that repair facility disassemble the engine to the last bolt and nut at the customer's expense, racking up $1000+ bill to be paid by the customer before even issuing any promising statements that they will cover the actual repair.
3. there are many high quality aftermarket parts available for these vehicles, if/when you decide to buy RRS, and situation comes to order parts, bring the question here, I am sure many owners will chip in.
4. Many items that are subject to service do not require super dupper high end shop, I mean a good experienced mechanic should be able to manage many repairs. Lets say airstruts are simpler to replace than many regular vehicles shocks, and sway bar links, control arms, brakes etc are straight forward jobs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sheri!
These cars are fantastic to have and drive but in general they cost more in upkeep and repair than the ones you had owned. Below you will find my recommendations after owning one for 2.5 years.
1. These trucks need to be serviced properly by a qualified shop using OEM parts.
2. Don't purchase one with high milage.
3. Try to purchase from the first owner. One who is a gentle driver and cared about maintaining the truck.
4. Extended bumper to bumper warranty is a must. You will thank me later!
5. Avoid buying a supercharged. HSE or HSE LUX have ample power.
6. Avoid buying one with modification to ECU or in general, heavy modifications of any sort.
7. Check the history before purchasing.
8. Take it to a shop that is willing to check it head to toe. It cost me a lot because my former shop said he only checked if the truck would pass certification.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice! So, the update is, I did buy a 2013 HSE Lux a few weeks ago! It had 40,000 miles on it and a clean CarFax. Two owners. I bought it from a dealer. Honestly, it looks like a brand new vehicle. I did get a 5-yr extended warranty just because I've heard it's expensive to repair, and that the air suspension always goes, etc.

What's interesting is your advice about not getting supercharged. I didn't go that way because I felt I didn't need it (and the gas mileage is already poor enough on the HSE!), but also because I noticed the prices on 2013s tended to often be lower than HSE Lux or equal. But it's a much more expensive vehicle. So, I wondered if maybe the supercharged had more issues. Glad to see that confirmed! I never test drove one for fear that would sway me!

Anyway, I love it! True, my 12-year old Acura was peppier, but I am not complaining. What a great truck. I can't wait to take it out in the snow! And we vacation in Block Island during the summer, which has lots of terrible dirt roads that scraped the undercarriage of my last car. Only problem is, I need to wait a year for that!

Thanks again for your advice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The good news is, with the 2013 you will skip over the issues with the timing chains, and being the last of the series the truck will enjoy all the improvements LR dialed in over the years.

I couldn't agree more with RRSJack's advice. Especially on the warranty and avoiding a supercharged model. Not taking a thing away from those, but the naturally aspirated engines will throw these 5800lb monsters all over the place...plenty of power.

Keep in mind you will have fewer options for, and more costly repairs than your Toyota or Acura. I still have my 2000 4Runner Limited 4x4 and I wouldn't expect any LR to ever come close as far as reliability and low-cost ownership.

Having said that, there is just something special that comes over you when you hop up on the seat of one of these beautiful Sports.
Thanks for your reply! I didn't realize 2013 skipped the timing chain issues that I've read about. So, that's great news. I did indeed get the warranty. It hurt a little. But I figured it was the smart thing to do. It will pay for itself easily if anything goes wrong!

I'm envious that you still have a 4Runner! I loved that car. Mine was probably a 1999 or 2000. Funny blue/purple color. I only sold it because I worked on the Saab account (I work on advertising) and they brainwashed me into getting a Viggen. The Viggen was a great car and exceptionally fun to drive. But I'm more for being able to climb over things and also being able to pack a lot in for trips or home improvement projects. I always felt I should have hung onto that longer. I guess this RRS will have to do! ;-)

I appreciate your feedback. This makes me feel good about shying away from the supercharged models.

Loving my RRS so far. It's great fun to drive and so comfortable to ride around in. I loved the Acura, but yep, when I get into the RRS, it's a whole different beast. Really enjoying it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, welcome.
I'd like to second RRSJack with few additions.
1. It is generally assumed that Supercharger does not affect a reliability but is a lot more fun to drive.
2. Unfortunately CPO extends warranty to make it 7 Years / 100,000 ml and most CPOs for 2013 would be done by now, mine expired in October. But there are couple of Aftermarket warranties that have descent reviews, if you talk to them before you buy their product, ask to reply in writing what would their actions be if Engine dies out, Tranny goes, Airstrut, Hydraulic Sway bar needs replacement, and if they cover diagnostic. I've read that some horror stories where warranty provider insisted that repair facility disassemble the engine to the last bolt and nut at the customer's expense, racking up $1000+ bill to be paid by the customer before even issuing any promising statements that they will cover the actual repair.
3. there are many high quality aftermarket parts available for these vehicles, if/when you decide to buy RRS, and situation comes to order parts, bring the question here, I am sure many owners will chip in.
4. Many items that are subject to service do not require super dupper high end shop, I mean a good experienced mechanic should be able to manage many repairs. Lets say airstruts are simpler to replace than many regular vehicles shocks, and sway bar links, control arms, brakes etc are straight forward jobs.
I did go with HSE Lux and not supercharged (2013 model with 40k miles on it). I'm sure it could have gone the other way if I test-drove the supercharged. But I did not. So, now I can drive a whole mile extra for each gallon of gas I buy! ;-)

The warranty I got was from the Landrover dealer I bought it from. It is Mechanical Advantage Care+Plus (attached a pic). Extends to 5 yr/95,000 (I am a low mileage driver, so it will last me the full 5 years). I asked about air suspension and timing chains, and those are covered. Looks like engine and transmission are covered for a lot of things, but I'm no expert on auto repairs. I'm sure they left some stuff out that I'd have to pay for. Hopefully they'll get a lot of it if anything goes wrong!

Thanks for the thoughts on repairs and OEM parts. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there, but I'll definitely seek advice here before making any big decisions.

Thanks for your input. I value all of this!

Sheri

1 - 9 of 9 Posts