RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant seem to get my head round exactly what I need for an Intravee.

I have a 2003 Vogue with DSP.

I know I need the Intravee Unit, there was also mention of because I have DSP I need a Digital to Analog converter?

Then I need the IPod interface?

But then I cant use my CD Changer at all right?

So then I heard that I could get an MP3 Changer - Can I have one of these at the same time as the IPod Interface?

I also think I read somewhere that another part needs updating if you want to be able to see the Track names (maybe the radio module?)

All the sites with info are so BMW orientated and they all have different head unit designs etc I just got confused.

So could someone tell me Exactly what I need to buy, to be able to listen to MP3's in my car through the Intravee please.

Apologies for my ignorance!

Dan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Dan,

You need an Intravee II & Alpine KCA-420i to listen to (& charge) your iPod (= £200 worth) :

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

but you’ll lose you CD changer.

You can replace your CD changer with an Alpine CHA-S634 CD/MP3 changer (identical dimensions to the CD changer it replaces) but you’ll then also need an Alpine KCA-410c to switch between the iPod & the CD/MP3 changer.

Go here for all things Intravee related :

http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
...oh, and regarding the DSP thing. My '03 Vogue had the 6-pin & 3-pin connectors so there was no need for a separate A-D converter. Your car is the same model & year as mine, so I don't expect it would be any different.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RRPhil said:
...oh, and regarding the DSP thing. My '03 Vogue had the 6-pin & 3-pin connectors so there was no need for a separate A-D converter. Your car is the same model & year as mine, so I don't expect it would be any different.

Phil
Thanks for the info, so i'm lookin aprox £200....

Did you have DSP in your main menu?

Dan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
I spent £200 for the iPod bit & haven't bothered with the CD changer replacement - didn't seem a lot of point to me.

Yeah, the UK Vogues all had DSP/12-speaker systems and DSP still works fine with the iPod.

I should mention that I'd also upgraded to Mk4 DVD sat nav so I'm not sure how well Intravee etc. performs with the Mk3 CD unit.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: MK4 NAV Me

This question is more about the NAV than the Intravee, but i'm buying the whole lot together and didnt want to start a new post:

I’ve bought the KCA-420i for a steal… £45 inc p&p. Will order the Intravee II later. I’ve got a BMW MK4 NAV lined up for £350 and the guy is giving me £150 for mine (so costs me £200 in total)

I want to test it before I part with the money, without RAVE in front of me I don’t know exactly what is involved? Is it a 5 minute job I can do on his drive, or a 20 minute job to take mine out and put his in?

Dan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Dan,

Should take less than five minutes to swap out your Mk3 unit for a Mk4.

You must wait two minutes after turning off the ignition for the sat nav unit to power down. The manual recommends disconnecting the battery earth lead after the two minutes are up, too.

Couple of bent coat hangers to release the Mk3, then pull out the two multiplugs and the coaxial lead at the back. Mk4 has identical plug sockets on the back so replace the three leads and click the unit back into the frame.

That's it - done!

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Phil, that's excactly what I needed to know!

Anything else I need on my shopping list?

I have Intravee, KCA-420i, MK4 NAV.

Do I need anything else?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Nope, you should be all set (I assume you're not bothered about losing the CD multi-changer?).

If it turns out that your Mk4 has old firmware or a BMW splash screen just PM me your address and I'll pop a CD in the post to you with the latest v32 and Vortec4800's Range Rover splash screen. Alternatively if you've got your own splash screen design you'd rather use just let me know and I'll use that.

Phil

·
Registered
35 Posts
sorry for jumping on this disscussion, but can anyone help me if i buy a mp3 cd multichanger would this be a plug and play fitting??? tia cheeerz

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes your right rrphil it is a 04,i have updated the nav reader to a mk 4 allready, so as i understand it if i swap the cd multichanger with this item Alpine 6 Disc MP3 CD Changer (CHA-S634, it will play mp3s and am i right will it say name of songs on screen also???
many thanks and again sorry for jumping in on this subject cheeerz

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Yep (providing you also have an Intravee II, of course!). The CHA-S624 would also work but that's a 6CD changer only (no MP3 capability).

If you want to connect up your iPod too, you'd also need an Alpine KCA-420i (iPod interface) and a KCA-400c or KCA-410c (AI-net switch) to swap between the two. I believe that both of these switches (the 400c has four ports and the 410c just two) have now been discontinued by Alpine so they'll be getting harder to get hold of.

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Sorry cowman, I think I've confused you.

The Intravee will work with the Alpine CHA-S614, S624 & S634 CD changers. Only the S634 will play MP3s as well as CDs.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Arse.

After faffing about with the stupid glove box for half a day I discovered I have the Random 8 pin plug rather than the 6 pin :evil: I need to find a converter, but couldnt see one on eBay and BMW parts dept is closed on the weekend so I had to put it all back together (but I didnt screw the changer back in so it will just slide out and I can do my thing.

Anyone have a quick, cheap source for said adapter cable?

Oh and I have a spare Alpine KCA-420i (iPod interface) I need to get rid of - I paid £45 P & P for it and would like that back.

Dan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, well, I've tried to install the Intravee again today.... I made up a cable easily enough, and have double checked its continuity so am confident that it works.

But basically its not being recognised. The unit wasnt brand new - so there is the posibility of it being a dud. I have made the 8 pin mirror the intravee connector as it should (the i-bus connector unplugged further up the loom so I have plugged that in.

When I press mode it just says no tape, the Ipod also doesnt charge so am unsure if the unit is getting any power.

Could it be the firmware in the Intravee? or would it be recognised regardless?

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not impressed with this load of crap.....

Intravee have told me the only adaptor cable for the RR is the Soundlinx one - they no longer sell it and have no replacement part.... Genious. So basically they are selling a product that will work on SOME RR's, but not all.
The BMW Cable requires complete re-working and as far as i can see plugs into the box in the boot (I want the Ipod in the Glove Box) so I dont want to get that one.
I just want to buy a cable that will deifnately work, so it is plug and play! Although i'm confident that my cable I made is ok, I cant be 100% certain though which when one is troubleshooting that is no good.

If I'd known it would be this much of a mare (inc ripping half the dash out) I wouldnt have bothered, although now that I have done all the work I want 30,000 songs damit!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts