RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2000 vogue, which had a 4.6 engine., that has been changed, due to a porous block for a international 2.8. the car changes gear at to high revs, also when going up a hill, it changes down, then back up all the time. I think that this engine with loads of low down torque needs to change much earlier. can the ecu be altered to suit this engine? and how can I tell if the ecu has been changed from a petrol 4.6? The b.m.w. engined p 38 revs to 2.5 before it changes, that is still too high for my engine. I have contacted the company that carried out the conversation, but they don't have the records, as it's over six years since they did the conversation

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,220 Posts
I'm thinking that the issue is probably in the transmission shifting map. I'm guessing you still have the transmission being controlled from the original ECU. I wonder if a Diesel/Auto ECU would fit - as that would have a gear shift map more set out for the characteristics of the 2.5 BMW engine, rather than the 4.6 Petrol...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Brian, I have sent you a pm on this.

If you can let us know the part number on the transmission ECU we can tell you if it is petrol or diesel. It is under the passenger seat.

If it is petrol, I think I have a spare diesel ECU somewhere that you can try out.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
This is at least the fourth time you have started this thread, without ever following through on it.
You don't give much info, besides the fact that your Range was butchered with an agricultural diesel engine.
Autobox gearchange speeds are not fixed, they depend on throttle and load applied, as well as the preprogrammed map and condition and temperature of the gearbox fluid.
Very hard to diagnose if there is actually something wrong, let alone tell you how to solve it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi escape,
Thank you for your comments ,ref gearbox ecu. I understand that it is difficult to diagnose the problem with a "butchered" engine, however, look at this forum it's full of people whining about the 4.6 engine. porous blocks, loose liners, droped valves,not to mention troubles with the eas system. the v8 was ok when it was a 3.9, but when Land Rover stretched it to 4.6 thats when the problems started, after all, it's a old pushrod engine, and it's tired, you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, and Land Rover could not be bothered to design a modern overhead cam engine for the P38,or fix the Lucas designed eas, the only thing they could produce, was a sparking plug. Land Rovers excuse was "if you can afford a Range Rover, then you can afford to have it repaired" but who wants to spend countless hours under the bonnet, when all most people want, is to enjoy driving it, because, it's a good looking car. I had a classic, fitted with a 2.5 VM diesel, and I had it for 18 years, it towed my caravan all over this country, and never let my down once, how many people can say that of the P38? I have tried to cure some of the problems, I have a reliable diesel engine, fixed the suspension faults buy changing it to coils, because, if the eas failed, then it would be when I was towing the caravan miles from home, and we caraveners get enough stick from other motorists, without the car going into limp mode, so Escape, do some research, before you rip the International Diesel apart, after all it's horses for courses.

You talk about a agricultural engine, well, the International 2.8, started life as a Land Rover 300 tdi,it was a so so engine, the International engine Co of Brazil fitted a stronger crank, redisgned the cylinder head , and many other improvments, , and it's now a very strong, realible engine, so, before you go bleating on about agricultural engines you need to check there website.

R

·
0 Posts
so, you ruined a phantastic car, the P38 is, into not much more than a RRC with P38 looks (an old fasioned agricultural TDI in it and coilsprings instead of EAS underneath).............. what is the advantage in having a P38 then??
By the way... the 3,9 has the alledged issue with the liners too, and since the bore of the 3,9 and the 4,6 are identical, the issue is NOT due to expanding the bore as many stories on the interweb imply

Having run a VM diesel in a classic for that many years without problems is perhaps more unusual than driving a P38 without problems.... those engines used to eat cylinderhead for breakfast, lunch and diner...........AND sounded like an oldtimer-tractor..

The P38 has a complete network of computers working together, your gearbox ECU needs data from the engine ECU, since the 2,8 international simply does not have an ECU i guess that is what causing the strange shifting pattern....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Ah more of the "EAS is junk, 4.6's blow liners out of the spark plug hole, head gaskets go weekly" and so on. What a load of drivel.
If you want to make a P38 into an early Classic, go right ahead, just get YOUR facts right when trying to defend it.
As far as your gearbox goes, we are GUESSING it is still the original 4.6 gearbox. If so, then how is it reading TPS values, on an old diesel?
DO you have any idea what the gearbox needs to run and function correctly?
Being a motor swap person myself, I know all too well that you are mostly on your own when issues arise. Maybe you would have been better off sticking to a completely stock tow vehicle, as diagnosing issues is obviously not your strong point is it?
As far as caravans go....Top Gear had the right idea.

Martin

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would have thought starting with a 2.5 diesel would have been a better idea. At least the gearboxes will be somewhat similarly matched. I don't know how you're going to get the 300TDi engine to spin as fast the petrol V8 - maybe get two and use the first engine to spin the whole second engine so the output shaft is the sum of the speeds?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Ah more of the "EAS is junk, 4.6's blow liners out of the spark plug hole, head gaskets go weekly" and so on. What a load of drivel.
Negative hype, wives tales and gullible people make P38 ownership cheaper for the rest of us. Let him believe the utter bull plop being spewed. :mrgreen:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Negative hype, wives tales and gullible people make P38 ownership cheaper for the rest of us. Let him believe the utter bull plop being spewed. :mrgreen:
Good point Carl!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, you may have a valid piont, the International engine does'nt have a ecu, so as you say, that maybe the source of my problems with the strange shifting patterns, no answer to that I guess, just live with it. Thats what you get when you buy a converted engined automatic,and you are on your own.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yep. Sent you a reply but it looks like you have now solved the problem with a new TPS.

Bit of advice Brian: Don't slag off p38's on here. Folks are sensitive.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Hi, you may have a valid piont, the International engine does'nt have a ecu, so as you say, that maybe the source of my problems with the strange shifting patterns, no answer to that I guess, just live with it. Thats what you get when you buy a converted engined automatic,and you are on your own.
Yep. Sent you a reply but it looks like you have now solved the problem with a new TPS.

Bit of advice Brian: Don't slag off p38's on here. Folks are sensitive.
if the International has no ECU, how does it have a TPS? There to look pretty?
Lordy....

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts