RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are back to the trans overheat messages and theh are more frequent and seem totally random. I have to check the resistance value of temp sensor but not sure if it will give me a clue as the fault comes intermittently. I am asking if the harness from a bmw, say 2002 x5 ,would be the same as ours and possibly a more favourable price. Island 4x4 is 138£. Plus shipping/import charges. Any experience shared will be gratefully received as the message comes up numerous times before trans oil temp has gotten anywhere near its danger point. I am wondering if those downshifts contributed to breaking the main drum snap ring location twice even though they were both the updated versions.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,360 Posts
Land Rover part YMD001500
Jaguar part LNC3380AA (which superseded JLM20218 )
BMW part 24341423719
ZF part 1058 227 019
are all the same component, so are interchangeable

Phil

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil, many thanks for sharing the part numbers. I got back home snd after ordering the wrong temp sensor as i read the dealer parts page wrong i sprayed the 3 connectors on the trans controller with switch cleaner and i did the same wt ahowedith the 4 pin combined oil /water temp sensor i wanted to replace. I checked the resistance of the temp sensor at 10C outside temp and it showed 900 ohms-right in line with the resistance chart. So i took her out for a run and then a shopping trop with my wife who had been bonged all week. Not a sound and basically shifts as well or better than our newer stable mate. So with everything i hsd reaf, o ly one other post mentioned that they thought the connectors are poorly msde and cheap. Can't say i feel that way-the pins are very fine and so are the wires. A crazy result but maybe it will help someone out with a similar issue. Will see how long it lasts, not sure how one would easily repair the connector contacts.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today has been very cool and some rain. So i drove off today (from a cold start), got one km or less and got numerous bongs and trans overheat messages for about one minute as i came to a red stoplight. Then it stopped and the trans performed flawlessly for the next hour plus of driving around. i really am beside myself and am wondering if the trans wiring harness could give such a result after testing perfectly at the approx 50F temp. the other day. The range runs beautifully otherwise (at least on the surface)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So range has been running nicely except for another bong in the driveway. So I am now looking to change the trans controller ECU? to see if that could possibly create this intermittent issue. Please, if anyone has been there, let me know. Talked to a factory tech here, near Cobourg, and he has never experienced it and only comment was that moving the controller when unplugging it could have jiggled something. There are some x5s around so will see if I can pull a used one for cheap and try it. Only one in hundreds of posts ever mentioned changing it but never gave a reason why. Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,360 Posts
I personally think it‘s more likely to be an issue with the wiring (either the internal harness or the rest of the loom/connectors) than the ECU. In any case, I wouldn’t risk a controller from an E53 as they run different software to the Range Rover i.e. GS8.60.2 rather than GS8.60.1
For example, the E53 controller won’t know what to do with the signal from the transfer box ECU, as the X5’s NV125 transfer case only has a single range.
Out of interest, why have you ruled out the internal wiring harness from being the cause?

Phil

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil. Thank-you for taking the time to reply and advice re the bmw controllers.
Any time I have tested the appropriate temp sensor pins on the loom in the in the ECU box the resistance has been in line with the chart you posted. The connector looks fine at the transmission end also. It just dawned on me to try and wiggle the connector and wiring with engine running to see if the overheat message comes up. I did read a post from a new Zealander somewhere and iirc they changed everything (cant remember about the controller) but the loom and they still had the issue. Unfortunately no further posts.
The only other point is that the controller had gotten what appeared to me to be extremely hot when the ebox fan had failed a couple of years ago but after replacing it and getting the tranny rebuilt there was over a year without any messages. But I guess i will have to do that harness also if the wiggle test does not show anything. It's been years but maybe its possible that the harness suffered when it first showed overheat due to the plugged trans cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts