RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many on this forum, I have been dealing with a slow clock

In an attempt to fix the problem, I purchased a clock from a another P38 and replaced the internal capacitors inside the clock. I also connected the clock to the car battery

The clock was a working clock before I placed it in my P38

Now , this clock works intermittently!

Tracing the wiring, the BECM contains the fuse, but appears to not have any influence on the operation of the clock, other than the fuse

Are there any other factors, that could make the clock work intermittently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed the same in mine. The voltage / power supply has not been a problem for me. The purple wire for clock power has had a constant good voltage. Then I finally noticed that the clock only would slow over night, when it was colder outside. So in my case it was the mechanicla "drivetrain" of the clock and the grease that would clog up and cause the clock to halt when it got colder. Didn't have to be very cold either (below 10C).

I guess you could try and replicate it by removing the clock and taking in your warm house and hook it up to a 12V DC power supply. Then perhaps stick it in the fridge and/or freezer to see if it makes a difference in your case.

I personally gave up, and have converted to a digital clock.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I doubt it's electrical, but you can never be too sure (intermittent power or ground connection when car is moving for intance). I'd put a couple of cents on mechanical still. Either way an indoor out-of-car test with a power supply would be good to eliminate the electrical part of the issue.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
If you fancy yourself as a Horologist, strip it, clean off old grease, lube with clockmakers oil and rebuild.
If not- replace!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I gave up on this earlier, I just open the window and ask someone what time it is ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts