RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, all! i've searched and read for a couple hours, but can't find another thread dealing with my problem, so here goes:

'95 RR 4.0SE, purchased 1 week ago. basically everything that could be replaced was replaced under warranty by 60K miles. now at 148K miles.

it seems that about every other time i start the RR, i get "EAS Fault" and the EAS High Mode indicator on the display, all 4 height indicator lights flash then remain steady on, and i have no control over the EAS system. after parking and shutting off for a few minutes, i can start up and have full functionality with no faults.

i think the rear RH side lowers slightly overnight.

i know both the rear air springs are badly weather-checked and need replacing.

the compressor sounds like it runs strong, i don't think it's running constantly, and there are no audible leaks. the compressor and valve block would have been replaced within the last 60K miles or so, i think.

so after reading the forum posts, i'm going to spend some time under the car with soapy water... i'm wondering which of the following might be my best next move (assuming i find no leaks):
--replace air springs
--replace valve block o-rings
--replace relay 20
--replace EAS driver module
--other??

thanks so much for any help you can offer!
ron

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,728 Posts
Congrads on the rigs 60K history, but it really has nothing to do with your EAS issue 90K later at 150K.

Once you have exhausted SEARCH and the sticky above, I would vote for faulty connections at a relay or a driver pack.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
faulty rear R/H sensor (most likely).

This same issue helped me down my road of EAS discovery. Turns out I had a sensor that had a dead spot near access height. when it leaked down overnight it was on the dead-spot, so EAS fault on startup, then it would go to standard. Sensor faults are the only self-clearing fault, so on the next startup (before it leaked down) the fault was clear. Seemed completely random for a while, until the pattern emerged. It would also fault when hitting a good bump in highway height.

new sensor fixed the random faults, full overhaul fixed the leaking down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so i've used soapy water to check all air hose fittings on the side of the EAS control box under the hood, as well as the air inlet fitting on all 4 air springs. also sprayed down both rear bags. no bubbles or visual signs of leaks anywhere, which stumps me because the bags are pretty weather-checked.

then by turning ignition on, letting compressor run, turning it off, waiting 10 minutes, and turning it back on, I coaxed the system up to high ride height. again sprayed the rear bags and air inlets - still nothing.

it's currently sitting at high height and i've marked a story stick with all four corners' height. i didn't leave a door open, which i maybe should have. anyway, this will tell me if i'm still drooping.

i neglected to spray and check the air tank itself... but i figure if that's leaking, the compressor will just run a lot, right? i don't think that a leaky tank would explain 1 corner being significantly lower than the other 3. (after sitting all night and until lunch today, the RR corner was the lowest corner, by about 3/4")

anyhoo, being a newbie i may not be correct, but i'm thinking maybe shupack's idea may be correct about the ride height sensor being faulty.

and fwiw, i pulled all the relays in the under-hood fuse box and found no signs of bad connections or fried relays.

thanks for the continuing help, and i'll keep posting so as to add to the collective knowledge base.
cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok here's today's news... the rover spent a full day in high ride height with the door open/EAS relay pulled. didn't sag so much as a millimeter, so i believe that = NO leaks. which confirms my test the other day with soapy water and no visible bubbles anywhere.

so i drove it this afternoon and i've figured out that if i park it in high ride height then turn it off, it will sit fine and dandy, and upon restarting several hours later, i find no EAS fault. i can cycle thru from high to access and back again with no issues. i was even able to park it in normal height while at SONIC for 20 minutes, then started up with no fault. great! or so i thought...

driving home tonite in highway mode, i hit a couple rapid bumps which produced a beep, "EAS fault" and icon on-screen, and the christmas tree lights on the control panel. so all that makes me think it's a height sensor, as shupack suspects.

so now it's 1AM and i've successfully swapped sides with the rear height sensors. ignition to position 2 and immediately went to "EAS fault"/christmas tree lights. started engine and it went down to access height. **NOT bumpstops** so i guess that's good for now.

waited 10 minutes or so and tried again, with .....................

so what is my next step? i read that sometimes water in the front height sensors can throw this kind of fault, and this whole saga DID seem to begin when i drove thru a huge puddle the second day i owned it...

so i'm thinking i'll swap the front sensors and maybe hook up the ohm-meter to see if they are up to snuff. assuming all 4 height sensors check out OK, what would y'all recommend i try next? again, i'm finding no leaks, compressor runs strong, truck lifts pretty quickly, etc. i want to put a pressure guage in the dash so i can monitor the tank pressure anyway, so i may do that. but is there some other part i need to test or some other direction i should go first?

thanks so much! i'm enjoying this learning experience, even tho it IS a bit frustrating!
ron

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the same problem. Every now and then, I get the EAS FAULT and the lights on the height switch. It hasnt bothered me enough to do anything about it, since it goes away on its own. It started when I was washing the mud off the underside of the car at a car wash. I assumed it may have messed with one of the height sensors. This may be your problem too it sounds like

Anyone know if the sensors can just be cleaned or something, or should they be replaced?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
they can be cleaned, there's a write-up on the main page. most likely there is a bad spot in one of the resistance tracks, which warrants a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts