RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’ve got an intermittent issue with the auto gearbox on my p38 dse from late 98.
On the motorway at speeds over 100 k/h, the revs occasionally drop to zero for an instant with a gearbox failure message in the dash. On many occasions this is followed by the not accelerating properly. Restarting the engine sometimes mitigates the issue.
It sometimes won’t accelerate properly on startup as well, and it feels very sluggish. Again, a restart often helps here.

I checked the gearbox for leakages, but cant’t find anything serious. Gearbox oil level is ok.
The transferbox however is soaking, especially the front side of it. Could this be the culprit?

If had this issue for a period last year, but I haven’t had the problem since I had a gearbox flush done.
Any thoughts on the root cause?
Thx!
Hout

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

You have to check your power distribution system. A sudden drop in voltage will give this problem. I had the same thing when driving along and braking and flashing high light at the same time (when a car suddenly changes lane in front of you) would trigger it.
There is nothing wrong with the gearbox it is going into limp home mode and restarting the car will restore the ecu's normal functions.

Renewing the battery solved the problem for me.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
373 Posts
how old is the fuel filter? is she being starved of fuel. well worth getting it replaced . my mates was a pain to start and cut out the other day,gbox fault on the dash...turned out the intank pump had failed and was sucking air through the fuel system,we could see the air in the feed pipe to the injector pump. she kept dropping revs due to the air in the system and putting up g.box fault. replaced the intank pump and fuel filter and all was good again. good luck

R

·
0 Posts
i recon it not to be a mechanic gearbox issue too... but on the other hand, then having it flushed last time being helpfull would be coincedence then..

I know a low battery voltage causes "gear box failure" and gearbox failure might cause limphome action, but I doubt that that would drop engine revs and power to idle.

electric failure seems most likely and I would start by having your battery checked on capacity

should it turn out to be a gearbox problem, i can recommend Peter de Koning in zuid Beijerland, he has overhauled my gearbox after a oilcooler leak ruined it for me.... not too much money for a good job done...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts