RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here so bear with me please. I am excited about restoring my new truck and the first priority is rust remediation.

Here is what I have going on:
  • Typical water logged front carpets issue with some rust underneath. It is NOT rusted through anywhere.
  • Also mystery leak in the rear back right, lots of rust under the CD player area and channel along the rear (none on the rear left side) This rust is a little deeper than up front but still not through in any areas.
My goal: excise the existing rust, apply converter, and possibly rhino line the entire interior flooring or just repaint BRG

Advise needed: Tips/best practices from someone who has tackled these issues before. For example, issues removing interior seating, carpeting, etc? What all should I remove (headliner too?? please no...)? Should I look to line the entire flooring or maybe just the problematic areas? Or just remove the rust and repaint with factory BRG? Tools to remove that you have found to work well?

Also, all the threads about locating interior leaks are absolutely maddening. I have no idea where to even start looking.
Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

·
Registered
224 Posts
New owner here so bear with me please. I am excited about restoring my new truck and the first priority is rust remediation.

Here is what I have going on:
  • Typical water logged front carpets issue with some rust underneath. It is NOT rusted through anywhere.
  • Also mystery leak in the rear back right, lots of rust under the CD player area and channel along the rear (none on the rear left side) This rust is a little deeper than up front but still not through in any areas.
My goal: excise the existing rust, apply converter, and possibly rhino line the entire interior flooring or just repaint BRG

Advise needed: Tips/best practices from someone who has tackled these issues before. For example, issues removing interior seating, carpeting, etc? What all should I remove (headliner too?? please no...)? Should I look to line the entire flooring or maybe just the problematic areas? Or just remove the rust and repaint with factory BRG? Tools to remove that you have found to work well?

Also, all the threads about locating interior leaks are absolutely maddening. I have no idea where to even start looking.
Thanks in advance!
Jonathan
Just remove all the carpeting and start treating the rust, the water will explain itself. If you don't like carpet, just put rubber mats on afterwards and call it a day.

The roof is aluminum, don't worry about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I'm probably over thinking it. I guess I was more concerned about rust flying everywhere if I use an angle grinder to remove it.
Recommendations for tools to get it back to clean metal? Was going to start with a wire brush, then get out the angle grinder.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you have the time & the space, the interior is easy to remove and then you'll see the complete picture. Check your rear seat belt mounts on the wheel arches... they are prone to rusting out.

Shop that did some rust repair for me used an epoxy paint. I used POR15 on other areas.

Front leak my be sunroof drains, windshield trim or door seals.
Rear may be also be seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts