RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw another option in the mix and show some before and after pix. I am sure there is a better match but I was just going on what I had on my hobby bench at the time. I used a small hobby brush and would recommend this for small to medium chips. Larger chips/scratches are going to require sanding and an airbrush. The paint I used is Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey. I believe it may also come in a small spray can. You can find it at your local hobby store (hobby as in remote control cars, not scrapbooks `) The paint is about $4 and took less than 3 minutes. So easy even a caveman can do it. I know there are 5 pages of search results on this topic. It seems that the only solutions have been to replace the piece, take it to a body shop or spray paint it yourself. Im sure I can find a closer match but I was just going on what I had on hand. Just trying to give something back to the community, enjoy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is excellent! Nice one! :D

Do you have any reccomended paint types/tips for the repair of the black plastic that houses the electric window switches by ant chance - one of mine has some slight corrosion...

Matt

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Great suggestion - of course i get this After i have already replaced the cup holder and gear lever trim!

I have some spares now i can play with though and will look at the hobby shop for the paint.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Great tip!

I recently posted about how I removed and repainted the rear center console. I was preparing to do the same to the cupholder but I see now that it would be easier for this piece to do just what you did. So thanks!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
18 Posts
lear60man,
Thanks for an excellent (and inexpensive) solution to a frustrating problem!
I just did the cupholder and the Tamiya XF-56 was a fine match.
I looked for it at local hobby stores. They all said they were having trouble getting Tamiya paint in from Japan. But, a quick search on eBay found a very inexpensive source in Hong Kong that shipped it quickly. Total cost $3.70 with free shipping.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! Great job. Just ordered an airbrush kit with your recommended paint; will be doing the door handle surrounds. Thanks for your initiative.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
For the first time ever I'm actually glad somebody necroposted... nice find. I need to do this.

·
Registered
887 Posts
And I'm curious what a necropost is...?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i sanded down all of my panels and repainted them with some spray paint that i bought from Home depot. the match was almost dead on. There is no sense in touching up the spots where the paint is chipping, because it will just chip again in another spot. The paint is not bonded properly from the factory.
I will try to snap some pics of before, and after. I can also get the name, and color of the paint i used if anyone is interested. BTW, if you wanted to buy some of the Tamiya paint in bulk, you could use that color also, you will just have to shoot it with a Preval sprayer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i sanded down all of my panels and repainted them with some spray paint that i bought from Home depot. the match was almost dead on. There is no sense in touching up the spots where the paint is chipping, because it will just chip again in another spot. The paint is not bonded properly from the factory.
I will try to snap some pics of before, and after. I can also get the name, and color of the paint i used if anyone is interested. BTW, if you wanted to buy some of the Tamiya paint in bulk, you could use that color also, you will just have to shoot it with a Preval sprayer.
Please post this info. I'm very interested what colors and paint you used. The Tamiya paint was a nice touch up years ago when this thread was started. Everyone is in need an overall respray at this point. Do you think your solution will last without cracking, rather than using a paint manufactured for this purpose, like Plastikote Vinyl Color? Most HD paints are some form of lacquer. Lacquer starts crazing pretty quickly on wood, which expands and contracts much less than our plastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
this is what i used
rustoleom flat soft iron primer and paint in one. I used 200 grit to remove all of the existing paint, then used 400 to clean up the 200 grit scratches. the 400 gives a great bite for the paint to adhere to. Next i used the prep all. Spray it on the part liberally, then wipe it down with a lint free cloth. this removes all armor all residue/grease, etc. make sure not to touch the part with your bare skin. If you do not use this product, you will have fish eyes in the paint, and you will have to start all over again. The bottom picture is the paint i used for the seat moulding. it matches the factory paint perfectly, it even has kind of a rubberized feel to it. to remove the rubberized paint on this piece, i used the prep all, then scraped it with a putty knife. It came completely clean, and is actually a clear plastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here are the panels all finished. As you can see, the color, and the metallic flake are almost a perfect match to the factory foundry grey, i did not paint the climate control surround, or the clock bezel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts