RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 supercharged... As soon as you open the door clanking for about 10 seconds. Fairly loud, this happens with the engine off. Is the ECU fan the only thing that powers up and moves enough to be audible just by opening the door? The noise sounds like broken plastic or a skipping gear, then after roughly 10 seconds it stops. It sounds like it comes from behind the passenger dash or near the head unit, tough to pin down. I haven't poked around yet, figured I'd ask the board. This is not the crickets ecu fan noise, it's a snapping plastic on plastic noise.

I was worried maybe it's the blower motor or blend doors (not sure if those do anything just by opening the door) but those all seem to work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Is the CD player back there? A lot of things power-up when you wake it up including a few in the cabin. I always thought the CD drive starts spinning when I wake it up. Of course mine's an '03, so many things are different, but many more things are the same.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,191 Posts
Its one of your HVAC blend doors, probably the one that feeds the rear center console vent, mine died earlier this year and it sounds just like a stripped plastic gear. That one is right below the corner of the dash where it intersects with the console on the passenger side. There are either 5 or 6 of these stepper motors in various locations around the front end of the console and under the center of the dash. Each one is a separate part number (there may be a pair of them that are the same number). The stepper motors position the blend doors as soon as you unloick the doors with the remote, or if its not locked when you insert the key in the ignition. Just pull the console passenger side panel off and you will see it right there just below the bottom edge of the dash where it meets the console, theres a little 2 wire connector on it, and it just twists out of its mounting location. Unplug one (you can see two of them from each side) and see if it makes the noise or not. If the noise goes away you;'ve got the right one. Get the numbers stamped in white ink on the end of the motor (they end in numbers like 15,16,17,etc.) the rear center one ends in 15.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the posts guys... I don't think it's the CD player but it being one of the blend doors makes sense, figured it was something like that. Will check it out and report back. Def stripped gear sounding.

·
Registered
372 Posts
prety sure this is what you are hearing.. i too hear it working everytime i get into my car.. and i noticed i only get cold air coming out of the passenger a/ vents.. got to get them replaced.

"Blend door actuators, also called HVAC actuators, control the position of the vents that control the flow of air into your vehicle's passenger area. ... The actuators are small electric motors that move the vent doors, mixing hot air with cold air to achieve the temperature that you desire."

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having never had to do anything under the console, I can't believe how easy that inside bottom trim panel comes out. Anyway I pulled that panel off and poked around in there. Figured I'd leave it off and wait for the noise again. Now it seems to be working. I"m sure the part is on borrowed time, will keep you guys updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts