RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have searched the forum, but not found this problem. The interior lights on my 2002 P38 all activate when opening either of the front doors, or when manually activated by pushing the button at the center console. However, they do not come on when either of the rear doors or the tailgate are opened.

Any ideas on what the cause and fix might be?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I assume the message centre doesn't respond by saying the back doors are open?? Does the EAS still raise/lower with the tailgate open?

All the door switched are sent to the Becm which then decides what to do with the signal.

Stu

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following Stu's suggestions, I have narrowed the problem down to the left rear door (behind driver) and the tailgate. When either of these is opened, there is no message on the message center, the interior lights do not activate, and the EAS is not immobilized.

Both front doors and the right rear door work fine, with open door messages, interior light activation and EAS immobilization.

What might I check next to further troubleshoot the two problem doors? Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would start by removing the switch's in question and clean up the connections and even use a meter on them while they are out to check there function.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll check the switches. In the meantime, I've gone back and retested the EAS with the doors open. It appears that the EAS continues to work and try to level the truck no matter which door is opened. So maybe there's a driver module issue as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh happy day. A good friend and Rover guru suggested that an easy fix might work, without disassembling the doors to get to the switches. And it did. Simple to do: spray WD40 liberally into the lock mechanisms and the manual locks on the doors. Then work the locks up and down and open and shut the doors until the oil penetrates. Worked like a charm. Lights now come on as they should when both rear doors are opened.

Still working on the tailgate latch, though. The WD40 is at least getting the lights to go on intermittently when I open the tailgate. That never happened before. So I sprayed it some more this evening, and will keep working at it over the next few days.

With regard to the EAS, I found a leak in the air line to the front bag on the passenger side and got it repaired.

BTW, my Rover friend has learned a lot from this forum and gratefully sent in a donation to keep it going. I'll do the same. Thanks everyone!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
You mean GRAPHITE right ?
Oh I get it, it's April fools :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scotty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts