RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my upper tailgate cargo light fixture with an LED unit from the UK. It makes a big difference. I would now like to do more of the interior lights on my P38. I searched and came up with stuff from 2010 and most of that related to Sports so don't know if they are relevant. Since the LED technology and market have progressed substantially since then, if anyone has recently done some bulb swaps in a P38 bulb specs would be greatly appreciated. I went to VLEDS.com and entered my make and model year. They show bulbs for the vehicle but I have no way of knowing if they are accurate or not.

As always, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried editing and adding this to the original post but could not.

Just found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/282023118700?chn=ps

Given it's a complete kit and cost isn't bad I'm just going to try it and will report back after install if anyone else is considering doing this.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That looks like a great value.
Please post a review when you get them installed.
They look to be 5000K Leds. I prefer 3000k, but for the price..........

·
Registered
771 Posts
I put led in mine a few years back, only problem I found was I ordered too long on the puddle and footwell bulbs, I popped the plastic covers off, and there still working well to this day, unfortunately I didn’t go for a kit, I just had a search and sorted what I needed.
does make a huge difference to the interior when you open the doors ��
next im going to have a go at led in the cluster, I know others have done it already.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I received the LED's from the ebay seller today. I'll hopefully figure out what goes where as there are no markings or guide. I'll report back once I've made some progress.

Clipboard01.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
I replaced all of my lights with LEDs. I bought a kit for a 2003-2009 L322 model year
i own a 2002 P38 but the kit fits great and I had a few spares as well. Color temp is about 5k
And a little blue but I added a bit of CTO gel and warmed it up a bit.
I tried to post pictures but they were too large. The light is so much brighter and better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I installed the LED's and I couldn't be more pleased. The color and intensity is perfect. I installed everything except for the rear seat map lights (HSE) and I still have 7 or 8 extra bulbs of various types. I didn't know how to remove the rear seat map light fixture which is with the courtesy light. I didn't want to damage the headliner. Any hints appreciated although I was able to do the rear courtesy lights by just removing the clear plastic cover. This kit is awesome. Wish I knew what the extra bulbs were for. Big difference on the footwell and puddle lights as well. Sorry for the sideways pics. They look fine on my PC. IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5637.JPG IMG_5638.JPG IMG_5636.JPG

·
Registered
341 Posts
Awesome looking! I might need to pick this up. Did you get 4 lamps for the visor mirrors?
they will add a lot. Some of those LEDs will fit the third brake light. I had to solder 2 left over lamps in a series for the rear cargo light which was wonderful. Tons of light.
Thanks for the pictures and the update.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,216 Posts
To get to the rear map lights, you have to remove the whole rear lamp unit.

Take the clear lens off, undo the 2 screws that hold it up into the roof, and then the whole unit comes out, and the map light lamp is accessible from the top. Swap lamp and test, then re-fit the unit, screws in, lens on, done...

I'll be interested to see how long they last - I've tried a number of various different LED types in mine with varying degrees of lifespan!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome looking! I might need to pick this up. Did you get 4 lamps for the visor mirrors?
they will add a lot. Some of those LEDs will fit the third brake light. I had to solder 2 left over lamps in a series for the rear cargo light which was wonderful. Tons of light.
Thanks for the pictures and the update.
I forgot about those. I do have extra lamps so will try them in the visors later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To get to the rear map lights, you have to remove the whole rear lamp unit.

Take the clear lens off, undo the 2 screws that hold it up into the roof, and then the whole unit comes out, and the map light lamp is accessible from the top. Swap lamp and test, then re-fit the unit, screws in, lens on, done...

I'll be interested to see how long they last - I've tried a number of various different LED types in mine with varying degrees of lifespan!
Marty- Thanks for that. I'm glad I didn't try prying them off!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hey!
Nice color rendition! Not too blue.
E bay pictures look awful, they should use yours:thumb:
As you say, for the price, that is a lot of leds..........
what could possibly go wrong?
Going to order a set tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey!
Nice color rendition! Not too blue.
E bay pictures look awful, they should use yours:thumb:
As you say, for the price, that is a lot of leds..........
what could possibly go wrong?
Going to order a set tomorrow. Thanks!
Bolt-

In the kit there are two fairly large bulbs. I don't know what they are for but when you get yours if you know let me know. I am not sure if the visor lights are included. I don't know how to remove them from the visors to check and didn't want to break anything. I was able to get the clear plastic cover off but it appears the entire unit needs to come off the visor to replace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
loadspace light.jpg

If that large bulb looks like this then it could be the loadspace bulb in the upper tailgate. I bought from a different source and found that it was a significant improvement over the original filament bulb but still not enough.

Bought myself one of these, going to screw it into the headlining when I finally find time to get around to doing it.
National-Luna-12V-9LED-Clip-On.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I have yet to find the proper bulbs for the p38 sun visor, other wise I too have done led interior and some exterior on my trucks. great improvement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts