RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there- I have a 2004 HSE and would like to upgrade the interior lights (eg. map lights, cargo area light, etc.) to LEDs. Also some of the exterior bulbs such as the license plate lights and reverse/backup lights.

Does anyone have a list of the interior bulb #s throughout the vehicle, and the exterior bulb #s for the license plate lights as well as backup/reverse lights?

Right now they are all a warm white color but would like to modernize the look to pure white LEDs. Planning to order off ebay as I've had good luck with bulbs from there. Did a search in this forum for "interior led" but couldn't find any good results.

Also I assume changing these to LEDs would not create any sort of hyperflash or any computer/dashboard message errors? With hyperflash my understanding from most cars is that usually occurs with turn signals only, but I know how finicky these Rover computers can be so wanted to check on any possible issues.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Also, any bulbs that are "monitored" will act funny/hyper flash, blink randomly if you change to LED. Mainly exterior bulbs. Turn signals, reverse, plate lights etc. But you can disable monitoring with proper diags software/tools easily.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, any bulbs that are "monitored" will act funny/hyper flash, blink randomly if you change to LED. Mainly exterior bulbs. Turn signals, reverse, plate lights etc. But you can disable monitoring with proper diags software/tools easily.
Thanks, I will either skip those bulbs in that case, or buy the "error free/CANBUS" versions with built in resistors. Where can I get a hold of info on which bulbs are monitored for voltage?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
421 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I got my puddle lights going with LED. I think initially I had Morimoto bulbs in them and they would work randomly. So I changed them for Philips and they work perfect every time now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a link to the post on the interior light LED conversion I did.

I was never able to get the puddle lights to work.

Also, to get the bulbs in the rear roof/ceiling unit replaced, you need to disassemble the unit. A couple of screws, not a difficult task.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/114457-led-interior-lights.html
Thanks, this is helpful info for installation.

Regarding purchasing, I've found it's much more cost effective to buy the individual LED bulbs from ebay (usually around $1/bulb shipped) rather than these sets for the whole car. Looking for the individual bulb #s.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't go with crappy off brand bulbs. Stick to a good manufacturer. I used Philips for as many as possible, and Morimoto for the rest.

Check out www.theretrofitsource.com
Already mentioned in my original post I've used ebay LED bulbs for years and they work just as well. No point in spending more than what is necessary. LEDs are a very simple technology. No point in paying more for a brand name.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
253 Posts
Already mentioned in my original post I've used ebay LED bulbs for years and they work just as well. No point in spending more than what is necessary. LEDs are a very simple technology. No point in paying more for a brand name.
That's not true at all.

Production quality varies amd cheap bulbs can have color and quality variances, even start fires.

OP buy quality bulbs. Personally I use Philips after burning out many a cheap eBay bulb. Had the same sets in for a couple years now with 0 flickering or issues.

Notes:

Approach lamps/mirror lamps need a resistor across one light due to how that specific dimming circuit works. Resistor size is calculated taking into account the bulbs used to mimic the OEM bulb. Interior LEDs dim without needing one.

Turn off HM and CM or you'll be putting resistors on everything externally and see flickering. This will stop error messages as well.

Turn signals need a Relay or you'll get hyper flash.

Reverse lights are useless due to the size and shape of the OEM bulbs. I had to build mine using old lights. See attached. These are seriously bright but excellent for camping or towing needs. It's a days work but not horribly hard.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
That's not true at all.

Production quality varies amd cheap bulbs can have color and quality variances, even start fires.

OP buy quality bulbs. Personally I use Philips after burning out many a cheap eBay bulb. Had the same sets in for a couple years now with 0 flickering or issues.

Notes:

Approach lamps/mirror lamps need a resistor across one light due to how that specific dimming circuit works. Resistor size is calculated taking into account the bulbs used to mimic the OEM bulb. Interior LEDs dim without needing one.

Turn off HM and CM or you'll be putting resistors on everything externally and see flickering. This will stop error messages as well.

Turn signals need a Relay or you'll get hyper flash.

Reverse lights are useless due to the size and shape of the OEM bulbs. I had to build mine using old lights. See attached. These are seriously bright but excellent for camping or towing needs. It's a days work but not horribly hard.

NICE REVERSE LIGHTS!!!!!!

I was thinking of doing exactly the same. You gotta share some details of how you did that!!

I put in the most powerful LEDs I could find but they are still junk. I picked up a 15w HID bulb reverse kit, but haven't played around with fitment yet.

You should start a new thread and share all the details of your reverse lights, that is amazing to see. You just made my day!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Also, I didn't have to use resistors on my puddle lights as I was expecting. I had a few different brands of bulbs and I think the Philips must have higher draw and ended up working perfectly.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
253 Posts
NICE REVERSE LIGHTS!!!!!!

I was thinking of doing exactly the same. You gotta share some details of how you did that!!

I put in the most powerful LEDs I could find but they are still junk. I picked up a 15w HID bulb reverse kit, but haven't played around with fitment yet.

You should start a new thread and share all the details of your reverse lights, that is amazing to see. You just made my day!!

I've got a couple threads to do, the reverse lights and bumper lights as well as the 2010 camera and bluetooth upgrades. Thanks for the compliment though, think we all universally dislike the stock lights

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
333 Posts
I bought a kit off of Amazon for a 2004 L322 in 6500 K color temp white.
I have a P38 2002 but there was no kit for my modal year. It worked out quite well and looks great I even had a few extra to add to my drawer boxes. It worked out well View attachment 239610
View attachment 239618

1 - 16 of 16 Posts