RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
first off, I can't thank all the members of this forum enough for all the helpfull information. It has been invaluable to me in keeping my rover running like a top.

so after much reading I am stumped and would appretiate any advice ...

have a '95 RRC 65k miles...and a couple weeks ago i started to recieve a code 45 and started to check for issues. car starts fine but the code seems to pop up when at stop light and the idle goes a little erratic (low but never dies ) and then all is well when driving away. cleared the code replaced the items below and then no issues for a few days then the issue returned... cleaned the MAF (not very thourough) cleared code and its been 4 days and no code. howeve, when at temp (at least it seems like it happens only at temp) and stoped at ligh the idle has a very slight shutter to it tha tI can feel but cant notice on tach. it is a slight hesitation (does not rock the car) and occurs evey 2-3 secs and in between the idle is perfect.
car runs very well otherwise but cant seem to figure out this monor but very frustrating issue.
Thak you again for any help !!!

John

here is what I have done so far:

replaced wires (not because of this but it needed it)
distr cap (not because of this but it needed it)
distr arm (not because of this but it needed it)
checked for leaks (air) found none

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: interesting idle issue that would appretiate some help with

Injectors? :think:

·
Registered
318 Posts

only use genuine cap leads and rotor arm no gen cause more faults.
replace the coolant injection temp sensor
ensure all the connectors are clean and ensure the air flow meter contacts are good
disconnect the battery and leave for half an hour whilst you are waiting remove and clean the stepper motor and the throttle housing as well refit the parts reconect the the battery then start the engine ensure that all the electrical loads and the air con are off allow engine to get to temp connect an exteral tacho and then clamp the rubber hose to the stepper motor housing the idle will fall if it does then it should fall to around 520+/-20rpm if it stall then turn the allen key in the top of plenum clock reduces the idle anti clock increases the idle once set slowly remove the clamp the idle will raise then fall to 720 +/- 50 rpm then run and see how it goes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

How can I tell if injectors are good?

·
Registered
300 Posts

johntg said:
How can I tell if injectors are good?
I don't think there is any sure fire way of testing them without removal and having them checked/refurbished/replaced. You could try using a long screwdriver placed on each injector whilst the engine is running and see if there is a regular ticking :think:

·
Registered
100 Posts

might try the idle control valve... black thing in the back of the intake with wires going to it. i just removed mine and cleaned off the carbon and put some teflon tape on the treads and it seems to not idle low anymore... heat i find makes this even more an issue with my 3.9 but so far so good. injectors are expensive and a hassle to replace... with as few miles as your rover has i doubt its injectors. ya try the idle control valve thing...
heres an image of what it looks like...

also called a stepper motor?
definitely check it out...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you for all the advice...
took out the stepper motor and cleand it and the opening it goes into. quite a bit of carbon build up (at least i think it was carbon) . will run in the next few days to see what happens. thanks !!!
will post results

·
Registered
100 Posts

i found that after cleaning the stepper motor the engine acted like it idled better however i dont think that is the only idle issue with my rover... i will attack the injectors soon...
word of advice... i would consider spending the extra money on a new stepper motor to completely take it out of the equation... if your engine runs great after, then you dont need to change injectors... if there is still a low idle sometimes, change the injectors sooner or later...
interesting thread...
http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22075
let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

update... the idle seemed to improve slightly after cleaning th estepper motor, however, when coming to a stop ocasionaly the idle still goes a little rough and yesterday the code 45 came back (!). would the temp sensor possibly be the problem ? or would the stepper motor also cause a code 45? if the temp sensor could be the issue, then is ther only one sensor (near the rotor?).

love this car !!!

95 rrC

·
Registered
318 Posts

if you have not set the base idle first then you do not have a base from which to work from as the engine wears the tollerences for the air and the idle adptions change thus i strongly advise setting this first and rechecking just cleaning the stepper motor housing can in some cases make it worse

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi,will definately set base idle but would that cause a code 45 to appear? Thanks again for all the input to date

·
Registered
318 Posts

have consulted my factory tester guide and code 45 is lambda sensor which if it is faulty will cause poor running and effect the idle bank b is the failed sensor replace this clear the faults and recheck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

assuming bank B is the right side?

·
Registered
100 Posts

code 44 and 45 are both oxygen sensors yes? this is from memory so dont quote me on that... bad o2 sensors causes bad idle? hmmm

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
201 Posts

Does the intake have to come out to replace the injectors?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts

rover4x4 said:
yes,

I was having stalling at idle on my p38, turns out my viscous fan was shot (other issues too), so it was running a little warm at idle, so the ECU retarded the timing. it's old and tired (175,000) so it wouldn't idle. New fan clutch and it's idling, and the A/C works at idle again. I think I may have a few vacuum leaks not found and may be due for a rebuild..

·
Registered
318 Posts

rover4x4 said:
do you mean you don't know? i thought you being the all knowing guy you would know that you have to remove the plenum and the trumpet base too

yes a faulty lambda and dodgey air flow meter can effect the idle

·
Registered
300 Posts

stuart460 said:
rover4x4 said:
do you mean you don't know? i thought you being the all knowing guy you would know that you have to remove the plenum and the trumpet base too
Handbags at dawn gentlemen? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

hello, a quick update... the issue still persists... the odd thing is when I clear the code (45) it will stay cleared for a few days and then eventually return...longest i went was about a week. it always seems to come back when stopped at a stop light/sign...etc... never when started seems always up to temp when it comes on. not sure if it means anything but figured someone may find this usefull.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Can you report on the plug condition once the code has been logged?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts