RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new, but I am trying to do the research, on the best RR to purchase under 20K but still can get the best perks of the RR
with my limited budget? Advice? Thoughts?

Year? Things to think of? Thoughts on which year is the best? Will I be able to use bluetooth with. my IPHone? in these years?

Thanks,

Viv

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am pleased with my 2012 L322 S/C purchased this year. Lacking very little, I think all I'm missing for this trim level is back seat video and a towing package.

My ultimate buy (WAY out of both of our price ranges) would be to find a 2012 Autobiography Ultimate with the 4 captain's chairs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Range Rovers and Land Rovers in general are NOT inexpensive to own, not cheap to maintain. A big part of this is that they aren't nearly as reliable as mainstream brands. Then the other big part is that Land Rovers are very particular in the parts, and consumables such as oils & coolants, and mechanics that must be familiar with the specific vehicle. For example, a general neighborhood mechanic can claim to be able to work on a Land Rover, but very rarely can. They consider them as just another vehicle, and use general oils, coolants, etc., then end up ruining the LR or causing problems.
If you're looking for a RR under 20k, it's either too old to not have problems due to age, or already having problems although it's a newer (8 or 9 years old at least) model year, which you won't know until after you've owned it for a few months.
I'm assuming you're not someone who's into doing your own serious mechanical repair, or spending a lot of money & down time on a project vehicle. If you are, great! Range Rovers are specialty SUVs that unless you buy them new and swap them out every few years, you will have maintenance & repair issues, and not small, cheap ones.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
268 Posts
06-09 non-supercharged
Make that 07-09 model (cause the 06 being a ******* has some limitations compared to 07).

By far the most reliable engine as mentioned is these years, Non Supercharged.

As others pointed out you can buy a 100k 2009 HSE for 12-14k in decent condition. You'll want to budget $2500-5000 the first 2 years for expected service putting you near $20k overall.

No matter what you buy in your price range expect $2500-5000 the first 2 years in possible service which is why you dont want to spend the full 20k on like a 2010-12 HSE with 80k miles cause you'll still need most of the services either way.

Services you can expect: full fluid flushes (transmission is $400-600 by itself), possibly brakes, possibly air suspension front bags/struts.
Fluids you should do no matter what but others like suspension you can expect as you get closer to 100k. Sometimes these have been done but those vehicles cost more upfront.

No matter what get an independent inspection so you have an idea what service you'll need.

Remember it's not IF you'll need service but WHAT you'll need to service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts