RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 91 2.5 VM TD RRC from Spain. It has a serious teeth-rattling vibration below 1000 RPMs. Smooths out completely above 1000. My mechanic has no experience with VMs but thinks it may just be how these engines run. Any insight would be much appreciated.

A couple notes:

No obvious signs of injector issues. Vibration is steady and no smoke out the tail pipe.

Engine mounts are old but still serviceable. Don’t look like the culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
50 Posts
I have had two VM Classics, should not run rough. Old mounts harden over time, put some fresh ones on. may want to do a fuel timing of mounts do not work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I'm getting feedback that's all over the. Some saying its normal for a VM, some that it's not. I think this is too intense to be normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you inspected the front driveline? If unbalanced one would feel vibrations. Drive her to 1000rpm and then shift it in to neutral. If the vibration ceases, then your driveline is unbalanced.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You could try lifting the engine via the sump ( just a little and enough to relieve the mounts) with a flat piece of wood on a jack and an old tyre on top.

This just to see if the vibrations diminish while running at idle.

The mounts for diesels contribute very significantly to the low speed vibrations that are transmitted to the vehicle. Many of the current diesel vehicles use very soft or hydraulic mounts to control what gets out of the motor assembly.

If the original mounts have age deteriorated, then they can have a severe influence.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try lifting the engine via the sump ( just a little and enough to relieve the mounts) with a flat piece of wood on a jack and an old tyre on top.

This just to see if the vibrations diminish while running at idle.

The mounts for diesels contribute very significantly to the low speed vibrations that are transmitted to the vehicle. Many of the current diesel vehicles use very soft or hydraulic mounts to control what gets out of the motor assembly.

If the original mounts have age deteriorated, then they can have a severe influence.
Thanks for advice. Given the lack of other obvious fueling issues, this is where I'm leaning too. Think I'll replace the mounts and go from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For the life of me I can not remember what mounts the VM uses, but if they are the same as a 200tdi get a set from Glencoyne enginnering, do the gearbox mounts as well. You will be surprised what a new set of mounts can do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the life of me I can not remember what mounts the VM uses, but if they are the same as a 200tdi get a set from Glencoyne enginnering, do the gearbox mounts as well. You will be surprised what a new set of mounts can do.
Looked into these and I think they would fit the VM--but they're only intermittently available and all sold out at the moment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well worth the wait for those as I only fit them to 200tdi's and makes a difference! ! Some suppliers come as hard as hockey pucks. Genuine LR are good but $$. What's your location?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts