RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, has anyone else had this problem yet?
when i took my 2014MY out today, i found that the start/stop function just ceased working.
it wont shut the engine off when the vehicle is stopped. i did not turn off the function, i didnt have any AC on either.
what could be going on with it? has anyone else experienced this problem before?
could it be because i was listening to music in the car last night with the engine off, and it drained some of the battery?
thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Probably yes, your main or aux batteries may be below the acceptable level of charge for Stop/Start to operate, so the system disabled it temporarily. Drive around a bit more to allow the batteries to recharge and it will probably start working again on its own.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
Mchotdog do you actually like the feature? Perhaps it will be fine in Canada, but in Southeast Texas in the summer I was in a loaner with this feature and I turned it off at the first stop sign every day. I saw another post where someone said it almost caused an accident when he was trying a quick 3 point turn around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mchotdog do you actually like the feature? Perhaps it will be fine in Canada, but in Southeast Texas in the summer I was in a loaner with this feature and I turned it off at the first stop sign every day. I saw another post where someone said it almost caused an accident when he was trying a quick 3 point turn around.
i dont like the function at all. it doesnt save enough gas IMO to be worth it. i usually turn the function off so i can get off the line quicker. but i just want to know that my month old truck is not broken already.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i dont like the function at all. it doesnt save enough gas IMO to be worth it. i usually turn the function off so i can get off the line quicker. but i just want to know that my month old truck is not broken already.
Hey my Start/Stop doesn't work at every light... I think there is a certain amount of delay required. I was out of town for two weeks (Honeymoon) and it certainly worked when I returned and drove the vehicle.

I'm still trying to figure out the algorithm or interval timings... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey my Start/Stop doesn't work at every light... I think there is a certain amount of delay required. I was out of town for two weeks (Honeymoon) and it certainly worked when I returned and drove the vehicle.

I'm still trying to figure out the algorithm or interval timings... Any thoughts?
first of all congrats on getting married! i had my honeymoon back in march. we went to fiji which took forever to get to.
in my experience, the engine turns off every time when i step down hard on the brakes when stopped. if i only step on it lightly, the engine keeps running. but today, the engine wont shut off no matter what i did.

·
Registered
252 Posts
first of all congrats on getting married! i had my honeymoon back in march. we went to fiji which took forever to get to.
in my experience, the engine turns off every time when i step down hard on the brakes when stopped. if i only step on it lightly, the engine keeps running. but today, the engine wont shut off no matter what i did.
Mine stopped working as well. Dealer did a "hard reset" as well as an ECU update and it works now again.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Another thing to add is that the engine needs to reach a certain operating temperature as well as battery level I order for the feature to work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some really interesting feedback... Never considered the temperature aspect. I'm probably going to drive it a little bit more before I get the ECU checked out.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I know nobody reads owner manuals anymore, but maybe it's worth cracking this one open at the Intelligent Stop / Start section, particularly the paragraph that starts with "The following conditions will prevent an automatic engine stop", before visiting the dealer to claim the system's broken.:oops:

As your helpful Forum Adminstrator, I'll spare you the pain and suffering of having to flip through several pages of useful information:

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Reading the owner's manual could lead to a law suit in the USA. After all there would be great pain and suffering if one sustained a paper cut these days.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ive done some reading on ECO and it's very interesting technology.

One thing I've been wondering is that in my L320 I had to wait around 10 minutes to check the Oil, in the 2014 you have to wait a lot longer, so there must be something keeping the Oil in the top end of the engine to compensate for when the Oil pump isn't running, right?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Reading the owner's manual could lead to a law suit in the USA. After all there would be great pain and suffering if one sustained a paper cut these days.
Not to mention Carpel tunnel from reading it online.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Some really interesting feedback... Never considered the temperature aspect. I'm probably going to drive it a little bit more before I get the ECU checked out.
We had a heat wave over the last few weeks so I had the A/C and seat coolers on all the time so I would just turn the ECO off immediately after starting the Engine. Even though the Battery charge level is constantly monitored and the system will decide whether to shut the Engine down or not.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
My husband jokes that I am probably the only person who reads the User Manuals!! And you can bet I will read the RR Manual when I get the car in January ... maybe I should get a headstart since I can read it online now :D.

The problem is that they have gotten so large with so much technology, that when a problem/question pops up months later, you don't remember the details. I've had my current suv for 4 years and thought my Blind-spot-monitoring wasn't working. I was pressing the button and couldn't see any light/sign that showed if it was on/off. Had to crack the manual open and it turned out that you couldn't just press the button, you had to hold it untill it beeped. Problem solved and repaired :D.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I know nobody reads owner manuals anymore, but maybe it's worth cracking this one open at the Intelligent Stop / Start section, particularly the paragraph that starts with "The following conditions will prevent an automatic engine stop", before visiting the dealer to claim the system's broken.:oops:

As your helpful Forum Adminstrator, I'll spare you the pain and suffering of having to flip through several pages of useful information:
Good advise. Mine had stopped working for 3 weeks with no changes to my daily / weekly routine. They didn't give me any feedback other than they were able to replicate the problem and performed a "hard reset" on the ECU.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There's always the QuickStart guides that you can download on your SmartPhones (haven't check, so not sure if it's available on Android). I put that on both me & my wife's phone. Helps with those times when you need some rarely used information.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quick-start-guide/id410855944?mt=8

My husband jokes that I am probably the only person who reads the User Manuals!! And you can bet I will read the RR Manual when I get the car in January ... maybe I should get a headstart since I can read it online now :D.

The problem is that they have gotten so large with so much technology, that when a problem/question pops up months later, you don't remember the details. I've had my current suv for 4 years and thought my Blind-spot-monitoring wasn't working. I was pressing the button and couldn't see any light/sign that showed if it was on/off. Had to crack the manual open and it turned out that you couldn't just press the button, you had to hold it untill it beeped. Problem solved and repaired :D.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm the guy who almost got rear-ended b/c of the ECO system. I would consider the OP's problem (start/stop not working) to be an improvement!

I probably sound like a broken record, but I hate the ECO system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm the guy who almost got rear-ended b/c of the ECO system. I would consider the OP's problem (start/stop not working) to be an improvement!

I probably sound like a broken record, but I hate the ECO system.
mine started working again after i drove it a bit more. glad its not just broken. and i agree with you, i hate the auto start/stop system

1 - 19 of 19 Posts