Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instrument panel is so messed up that i cant read the error code or messages. Any way to sort this out?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Replace the display panel (unless that has been put over it so you can't see the multitude of errors). DON'T just replace the whole instrument panel or you will get an odometer error or suddenly increase the mileage on your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you replace the display panel? Even a brand new instrument panel is not avail. I bought this car 7 days ago! BTW is the avatar of 400,000 true?

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
No, it's 8 months out of date, it's at 418,000 now (and it is miles, not kilometres). You need to get hold of a secondhand instrument cluster then swap the display over, it's on a separate printed circuit board connected to the main board with a plug in ribbon cable. Simple enought to take apart but the most important thing to remember is not to switch the ignition on with the instrument cluster unplugged.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
You can replace the display pannel. I did it about 8-9 years ago though not sure it's availble now. I can't remember the details.
Search and you should get the suppliers name, its here.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Here it is, but not sure that ebay seller is now available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant thank you guys enough. Apparently the seller is no longer available on eBay but there is another person selling the same stuff.

I have messaged him to reconfirm that it fits mine. Thank you again

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it's 8 months out of date, it's at 418,000 now (and it is miles, not kilometres). You need to get hold of a secondhand instrument cluster then swap the display over, it's on a separate printed circuit board connected to the main board with a plug in ribbon cable. Simple enought to take apart but the most important thing to remember is not to switch the ignition on with the instrument cluster unplugged.
impressive! How do you take care of it now that most plastic parts are no longer available. Sorry for moving out of topic

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
The plastic parts only break if you take them off and aren't careful when you do it. Maybe the UK climate is kinder to the plastic parts but it is a British car after all. All I do with my car since virtually rebuilding it 11 years ago, is service it, replace anything that needs it as soon as it needs it (rather than leave it until it is almost too late) and drive it. I'll regularly do 2000 or 3000 mile round trips all over Europe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the confidence you have given me. I had owned previously a Series 2A, 5 Defenders TD5 and then a Discovery 3 with a 2.7 TDV6. Then took a serious break after buying the all new Mercedes Benz S class when it was newly launched 7 years ago. The first 3 kilometers after collecting the S class, i was regretting. The then 7 years Discovery 3 gave me a more pleasurable ride. There was no cabin noise at all from the Discovery while the brand new S was taking in all the outside ambience noise. Ride quality was better in the Discovery. I am regretting till today the decision i made to sell the Discovery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please let me know if you're successful in fixing the film on the LCD display. I suggest changing the cluster bulbs to LED while you're in there. We have the same problem on the delaminating polarizing film on the message center.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi. Did you change your cluster bulbs to led. You are able to read from what i see. BTW this car is falling apart. I bought this 10 days ago. I tried to use the cruise control and the cruise control vacuum rubber broke.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
The cruise rubber pipes always perish and crack, even in the UK, so with your climate it doesn't surprise me at all. Just get a length of 4mm ID polythene pipe and replace them with that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate this group. Every thing has a solution and has been tried and tested. Richard, do you have some photos of this repair job. Our nearest mechanic is 200 kms away in Phuket. With the current pandemic, we are not allow to go there unless you are vaccinated or a test. The vaccine is not available here yet.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 17.17.27.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
You'll need to replace that, not sure if it could be repaired although you can try. I was referring to the pipes that fit on the back of it that you don't seem to have anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will try to get a better picture of this tomorrow. If the pipes are missing, can i just remove them? Since buying a new
CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR, without the pipes makes no sense

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
You should have a pipe that comes off the vacuum pump mounted below the actuator the runs to a Tee. This then has a pipe to the actuator and another one that goes to the valve on the brake pedal switch. Like this:

Normally it would be perished rubber hose but red polythene vacuum hose was all my local supplier had in stock at the time......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I did. All it took was 4 T10 led bulbs for the cluster itself. I didn't change the message display to led to avoid bright spots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts