RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a recent visit to my RR dealer for suspension problems on my 2004 gas RR Mk III (102,000miles), the mechanic asked if I'd changed out the instrument cluster, I told him I had'nt though I'd purchased the vehicle with 8,000 mile on it. He then pointed to two little dots between the milage figures (second indicator from the left) on the instrument cluster and went on to say this indicated an instument cluster swop. I'm now worried the truck has many more miles on it than originally disclosed. Can someone confirm this please?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Post a picture if you can. I had my instrument cluster replaced and I do not see any dots.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It should only illuminate if it was a used cluster. A properly coded new cluster should display correct mileage and no dot. I haven't heard of the tamper dot being incorrect before but I guess there is a first time for everything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ref image. My mechanic also said the instrument cluster had never been syncronised to talk to the other components, hence the single dot and the assumption its an exchanged unit.

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Seeing as that is the trip meter mileage indicator, try reseting the trip meter to 000 and see what that does. It might just be telling you the trip meter has gone round the 1000 mile mark already.
Worth trying!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think that is the location of the tamper dot, or at least, that is where it is on other BMW clusters I've seen, I assume since it is a BMW part with LR branding, it is probably the same.

G

·
0 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I think that is the location of the tamper dot, or at least, that is where it is on other BMW clusters I've seen, I assume since it is a BMW part with LR branding, it is probably the same.
Is this something that is referenced in RAVE? I guess it makes sense, but I have never heard of such a thing. You would think LR would want to make it know to prevent oddometer fraud.
What does your carfax and title say about recorded mileage? Actual or approxamate?

Maybe you DO want to replace your cluster as it appears you have some pixels out. it's telling you to "FFSTEN SEAT BELTS"

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
As Mr RR said, it's on your tripometer, so how would that indicate tampering? :think:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
On bmw the manipulation dot is in the trip miles area - from what i recall it is a red dot though...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/jr ... 280005.jpg

From what i know - once they "synchronize" the display to the ecu, unless someone has done a very good hack job, the actual miles will show up on the display or can be read with a dealer reader from the ecu (or wherever this data is stored).

JH

·
Registered
249 Posts
muggy said:
I am looking for Instrument Cluster were can i get the cheapest my range rover is of 2004 model gas
Your best bet is ebay, I just scored one for $105 brand new !!!!!! how cool is that `)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts