RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

In the 2003 Range Rover we just picked up to be our company's promo/marketing vehicle, I noticed any annoying problem. The screen that says, "Liftgate Open", the mileage, outside temperature, etc... are all very difficult to read. It seems like each screen is missing a bunch of pixels.

Is this a common issue? Any sort of fix?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Instrument Cluster Screen Is Hard to Read - Missing Pixels

Is there anyway to get the ribbon cable locally? And is it a tough replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I do not know of any other place that sells the ribbon cables... I have read on BMW forums that the cable replacement itself is not hard, but that getting it seated in exactly the right spot so that all the pixels work can be quite a task some people have reported removing their cluster dozens of times and attempting to adjust the ribbon and still only about about 90% pixels working (which is still an improvement). There are services which will do this work for you and warranty the work for a couple years, and I do not know what magical technique they use, but they seem to have it perfected based on success stories.

Personally, I plan to wait until my display is already unreadable, and then try the ribbon cable myself (nothing to lose if it is already unreadable) and if it doesn't work, the cable was cheap anyway... and I could still send it to one of the services or buy a new one from the dealer.

This site actually offers a lifetime guarantee http://vdorepair.com/

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Gotcha, sounds like a good plan...

I'm probably just leave mine for now too and wait until it gets a lot worse. It is still quite easy to make out what it says, just annoying and honestly kind of ghetto looking!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts

There is a company who supplies the ribbon cable, but it is a complete waste of time as it is VERY difficult to fit and you are more that likely going to screw up the complete unit. I'm speaking from experience here. :oops:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts

I experienced a similar problem with my 2004 L322 Vogue TD6 in Norway. I removed the instrument cluster from the dash and packaged up and sent to www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk . They supposedly replaced the LCD display screen with a new LCD. The total cost for this was about £130 including postage and insurance etc. As the unit came back sealed with a two year warranty, I was not willing to break the seal to check what work had been done. I can say for certain that prior to sending to them the LCD was displaying less than 30% of the messages, due to badly faded pixels. Now I am back to 100% and all appears to be working fine so far. (about 3 weeks now). Of course this solution is more expensive than simply replacing the pixel ribbon, however I have read some good and several bad results changing ribbons, (some usually requiring further ribbon changes down the road). If this LCD replacement solution lasts the warranty two year period i will be more than happy. As can now read all messages and warnings as well as the ability to fully read OBD 2 diagnostics etc.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts

Search the web for BMW Pixel Repair. It will give you lots of links. I am having my one sorted locally for £80.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

FYI, I figured I would mention that before trading in my '04 I ordered one of those ribbon cables from AKSpeedo.com a while back and had it sitting around... figured I'd install it so the dealer wouldn't ding me on the trade value due to unreadable display...

It took me only about 2 hours, and the display was flawless afterwards. I wish I would have done it sooner, I could have had a working display for the past 1.5 years (back when I ordered it I think it was only about $18.00, now it looks like they are about $30)!

·
Registered
47 Posts

When you guys did the repair, did the speedo need to be disassembled, needles off etc? Or can you pop the lcd and/or ribbon off and on? The youtube vids show total disassembly and wasn't sure if it was just as a test or what. Also linus did you do pics during the repair I read in a post years ago you would....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry so I did not take pictures. Yes, disassembly is required. There are several youtube videos and good photo galleries in the BMW forums. It wasn't hard for me. The most important step is making sure that the gauges are properly aligned when you re-assemble. If you work carefully you should be able to do this.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Excellent, thank you. The bimmer board how-to with pics describes drilling the cluster in order to access a handful of screws needed to be removed, is that bmw specific or you did that as well?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
47 Posts

I bought my lcd from http://www.akspeedo.com/ and it came with very good instructions. He also gave good support. Pehaps this could be worth something in this case

·
Registered
47 Posts

Thanks I started there, emails bouncing back, phone doesn't work etc, IDK what the deal is over there, [email protected] responded so far, somehow theyre saying they dont think its teribbon orLCD...I accidentally deleted the email on my phone...Is there anyone in the US that we know of for this? Once you popped speedo out, did you have to drill it? or anything weird? lol

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Design is the same as the BMW. I did not do any drilling, but some people have done it that way to avoid removing the needles. I had no problems myself, just put everything back on and it worked, no calibration needed. Personally I didn't want to have the drill slip and damage the circuit board. Even using a drill press it wouldn't be hard to slip.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
47 Posts

I did the "drill procedure". I used e dremel instead of a drill though and it worked fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts