RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I need a little advice.
I have a 97 P38 4.0 SE.
Two weeks ago took it to the shop to have head gaskets replaced.
When I went to pick it up I had to replace the battery.
As soon as the battery is hooked up all the instrument indicator lights come on. This is before the key is even in the ignition.
The rover starts and runs great. Only problem is there are no instrument readings, tach, fuel, LED screen, etc.
I had no problems before they replaced the passenger side head gasket.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
251 Posts
First thing that comes to mind for me since you said it had head gaskets replaces is to double check that all of the grounds have been re-attached properly. They may have removed one and forgot to hook it back up. If there were no issues before, try tracking through anything they may have touched when replacing the head gasket. RAVE has all of the ground locations pretty well documented. I would start by looking at the ground that is specific to your gauge cluster in the wiring diagrams. Best of luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke to the shop today. They said they have gone over all the grounds and connectors and not found the cause yet.
Any other ideas please? We are at a loss on this one.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
251 Posts
Did you double check the E254 Ground? This is where the cluster is grounded. If it looks good, give a clean just for good measure.
Untitled.png

Capture.jpg
Also double check C256 connector into the BECM.

Capture2.PNG

Are you able to record a video of what is happening? You said lights and what not are coming on, but no activity from any of the gauges? Essentially what I'm getting at is that you need to trace all of the connections to the Instrument cluster. Make sure it's getting power. Like double checking Fuse1 for example. Then make sure it's ground is good. Then double check its connection to the BECM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mechanic insists he has gone over ever ground 10x. He insisted it was a broken wire in the engine harness, bought one, he installed and no change... all dask cluster lights on but no LED screen feed, or gauges.
The light in the cluster come on as soon as the battery is hooked up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mechanic insists he has gone over ever ground 10x. He insisted it was a broken wire in the engine harness, bought one, he installed and no change... all dask cluster lights on but no LED screen feed, or gauges.
The light in the cluster come on as soon as the battery is hooked up. Thank you for all the input. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you ever found a solution? My 96 P28 4.6 does the same, after i had to jump-start it a few times to move it around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts