RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick query?
Can I use the instrument binnacle from a late 96 in a 2000?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Quick answer, yes. However you will receive an odometer error.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang! Can it be cleared with an BB MSVII?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My understanding is that the ECU and cluster are linked and stored with a mileage- and if one or the other is changed, it will automatically read whichever mileage is higher. In my truck, both the ECU and cluster were swapped, and therefore read the same mileage, unfortunately which was 10k miles less than actual mileage, so after the first state inspection it triggered a TMU listing (TMU=true mileage unknown). I may be wrong, but I've been told by Land Rover mechanics this is how it is, at least on a GEMS Rangie

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
I recalled hearing something like that, but was not sure. I know the mileage is stored in the BECM, but was not aware that it is also stored in the cluster.
Since I have 87K on the 2000 and 297k on the 97 (Just purchased for a parts car, but runs quite well) , I am not sure I want to do it.
The reasoning behind even wanting to try it that the cluster in the 97 has walnut burl around the instruments, and the 2000 does not...My wife drives the 2000, and really likes the wood!
Cheers!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Oh dear lourde leave it alone. The "wood" on the cluster is a stick on piece of vinyl. You can purchase a kit, remove the lens from the cluster and install the stick on yourself.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't unnerstant!
It's surrounding the gauges inside of, and behind the lens. I have not seen one like this, it's pretty cool. Factory job not stick on's.
Least I don't think it's aftermarket, since it matches perfectly.
"It's not for me, you understand, it's for the little woman"

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I completely understand as two of my P38s have had it. As I stated it is installed by removing the lense. You then stick it onto the face of the gauges. It is not factory although at one point there was a dealer option to have this done.

Poke around eBay and you will find them. The kits are wround $100-$125 depending on how many pieces they include.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,
as usual I bow to your encyclopedic knowledge of the P-38, and thank you for the feedback.
Will it truly show the highest mileage of the 2 or will it show an error, and if so, can the error be cleared with a fault mate?
I am just passing time swapping a few odds and ends to bring the Wife's ride up a bit, and she does like the wood grain instrument cluster, however, if it's not gonna work, it's not gonna work.
Cheers!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Yes the higher mileage will override the BeCM reading. No you can not clear this.

Although there are a few folks that can unlock and reprogram the mileage in a BeCM you can not change the mileage in the cluster.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, again!
I have informed the wife, that she will have to live with the drab, lackluster cluster....But she said I should check e-bay just in case.....
I suppose, I could get radical and do a face transplant on the cluster, but that sounds like waaay too much work!
The wood stays in the '97!
Cheers!

While I am at it, even though it's off topic for this thread, I note that the climate control for the 97 reads out in celcius, even though it is an NAS sold in So Cal?
I am thinking of shifting it to my 02 if I can fix the Auto button, as it has a better display. Don't mind celcius, just wondering if it is changable?
TC

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
The plastic/wood lens part is very easy to swap, it is more or less self explanatory once you get the cluster out (although there are a few precautions here, namely the SRS but that's easy just don't power the cluster up until everything is reattached).

To change your Temperature Units, just press and hold the two outermost "distribution" buttons (of the row of 5) down for 4 or 5 sec's.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
WELL.. IF IT'S SOMETHING TO FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT..All you need to do is find a guy who has the ability to zero out the mileage in your BECM then you can install any cluster you would like no issue's..:roll:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Haha, true... except if I were the OP, I wouldn't be wanting to make my nice 87K mile P38 have 297K miles!!

I personally would just take the cluster out, pop the clear plastic lens off, then the black hood - and then sitting there on top is the fascia for the dials (which the wood trim is attached to).. do this on both of them, swap the bit of plastic for the one with wood trim, reassemble both, and voila - same instrument cluster, with wood!

My 0.02

Marty

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The mileage is held in a parallel eeprom in the cluster. I have unsoldered the chip from a spare cluster I have and read it using an eprom reader. Not entirely successfully though. The information did not make much sense, it was not the mileage. It might either be encrypted or I am using the reader incorrectly. Anybody else read it?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Only thing I can think of is if the EEPROM has an 'electronic lock' in it, which prevents it from being read back?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Marty,

it is a very basic 24 pin, 16 bit, parallel eeprom M28C16A-20. I don't think the chip has an electronic lock feature. I read it with a simple eprom reader but all I could see was a 3 digit number, nothing to do with the mileage. It would not verify or copy so I think I was doing something wrong. The problem is all this stuff is now obsolete.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Hi Dave

Managed to find a datasheet for it, just having a read now... might not make a whole lot of sense to me - I'm probably not that knowledgeable of electronics..

However, an interesting find/thought... I've just looked at the board from a spare cluster I have here (pulling it to bits to refine my LED conversion) and the M28C16A-20 chip is actually in a DIL socket..

I wonder what would happen if you removed that chip and put it in a different cluster? Would you then retain the mileage?

Marty

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Marty,

Thanks for sending me the data sheet.
Maybe a previous owner fitted the DIL socket for just that purpose. Mine was soldered in.
I would experiment more but if I mess it up I might put an extra 100K miles on the car.
It is easy to set the mileage to zero but I am not going to publish it here.
If I had the Faultmate SM035 I would be able to change it back.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
No worries Dave,

I don't know if the previous owner fitted the DIL - I just bought the cluster as second hand because I wanted to convert the gauges to LED, and the dial backlight.. and in the process managed to snap the needle from the fuel gauge :( (was trying to see if they came off as it would make the process easier! - but they don't! unless they go snap!)

Don't suppose you have an individual spare fuel gauge with a black background?? lol..

It doesn't look like the chip has been de-soldered though - so who knows! The other interesting thing is that in the datasheet, it didn't show the M28C16A as being available in a DIP configuration! only the M28C17A... and this chip definitely has M28C16A-20 stamped on the top of it. Gotta love the confusion sometimes!

Understand not wanting to post methods of resetting mileage publically... but I am intrigued... do you mean for the BECM or the instrument cluster?

Ahh, a faultmate with SM035.. that would be nice! but expensive! Think I'll stick to my Nanocom until I have the funds for that kind of upgrade!!

Marty

1 - 20 of 25 Posts