RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing roof bars....question about the "tabs" on roof

So I just purchased these OEM style roof bars for my truck. On top of the roof, there are 3 little "tabs" on each side. Do I have to snip these off with pliers or do they somehow come off easier?

I saw an instructional YouTube video which showed the man snipping them, but before I do that I was just curious if that was actually necessary....thanks.

Roof bars that I purchased: https://m.ebay.com/itm/For-2002-201...TXp8QMgO5dRC9Nh8&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

·
Administrator
27,824 Posts
Re: Installing roof bars....question about the "tabs" on roo

Yes they must be removed. The three sections on each side no longer slide out of the way with the second gen L322.

I find it easier to remove the entire trim strip and then remove the knock outs. The trim strip just pops up from spring clips for removal. This give you the ability to flex the knock outs both directions.for a cleaner removal.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Do you guys have photos? I am also considering installing these roof bars on the 2008 rrsc.

thanks

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
166 Posts

I use roof racks/bars only on rear occasion's, so did not wont remove/cut tabs. I made my own `)

20170607_122846.jpg 20170607_120936.jpg 20170607_121342.jpg rsz_20170418_121330.jpg

for my needs these work fine.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts

If one is using Rhino Rack mounts, the tabs only need to be folded up out of the way. No need to remove them. I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my L322.

·
Registered
385 Posts

As stated above, the tabs flip up. You don't have to remove them. If you do remove them, you will have an exposed cavity if you remove the roof rack. I left them on my vehicle.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
355 Posts

Official Land Rover instructions show them being removed.

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.41.47.jpg

·
Administrator
27,824 Posts

Correct. the reason is a couple fold. Directions are for the roof rack not the "sport bars" that folks above are showing. I misread the initial post and thought he was mounting the full length roof bars for the roof rack. With the full length bar they interfere if left in place and the bars won;t mount. With the sport bars I would think you would have wind noise unless you only used the rear two mounts on each side. Of course there are looks to take into account. It'd be pretty tacky to have the flaps poking up on what should be a flush mounted footing.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts

Hello, Q: I found 2 Rover Racks cross bars on Ebay (VUB502790) however no mounting screws, how do they attach ? is there a base plate ? wish I had one more.

I went to the dealer and there is nothing on their computer showing this part or how they mount . any link or information will be helpful.

JV 2004 HSE

·
Registered
89 Posts

I just had Prorack bars installed at Rackattack, they don't remove the doors as the footings go over top. However you have a bolt sticking up that needs removing when you take off the rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys

Don't know if anyone can help. I got 2 pairs of roof bars for my 2010 L322 when I bought it 3 years ago.

However, I didn't get any bolts to attach to the 6 roof mounting points - I can see what looks like grub screws which I assume get removed and replaced with the bolts that attach the bars 04FC916D-2D06-4517-8115-D3339C270AD2_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
117 Posts
They are indeed grub screws. Be careful when removing. If any moisture has got inside, they will be corroded and difficult to remove. You also run the risk of twisting free the large nut holding the grub screws from under the roof. When removing with an allen wrench, keep a close eye if only the grub screw is turning or the entire nut. If the entire nut turns you have two choices, stop and apply sealer around it to prevent water intrusion or continue and risk twisting the entire nut out which will drop inside your roof. You can gain access by removing the headliner. I learned that the hard way... 4 grub screws came out easy, one didn't.

Even if you don't use the remaining hard points, it would be an excellent idea to remove the grub screws and apply some antiseize to them as a precaution for future use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are indeed grub screws. Be careful when removing. If any moisture has got inside, they will be corroded and difficult to remove. You also run the risk of twisting free the large nut holding the grub screws from under the roof. When removing with an allen wrench, keep a close eye if only the grub screw is turning or the entire nut. If the entire nut turns you have two choices, stop and apply sealer around it to prevent water intrusion or continue and risk twisting the entire nut out which will drop inside your roof. You can gain access by removing the headliner. I learned that the hard way... 4 grub screws came out easy, one didn't.

Even if you don't use the remaining hard points, it would be an excellent idea to remove the grub screws and apply some antiseize to them as a precaution for future use.

Many thanks for confirming and the tips to avoid a whole world of pain. Next question - what is the part number for the bolts - is it just bolts or are there some washers etc? I just have the bare feet on bars at the moment

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
117 Posts
The bolts are regular bolts, I think M6x1. I brought the grub screw into a local hardware store and the set me up when I installed a Thule rack.

Send pictures of the feet on your rack, where they attach to the truck. Does it appear that it would mount directly to the roof if you screwed it in to the hard points or are you missing pieces?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just removed my ProRack for the winter (mostly used to carry lumber). Here are some pictures, where you can clearly see the hinges on the tabs. The Prorack feet fit over them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts