RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I have seen some very succesful retrofits for paddleshifters on E38 BMWs - where the heating plug was used on the steering wheel as the (pair) of wires to carry the signal.

I wonder whether this can be done for the 2009 RR - it does have a heated steering wheel - which means that at the least the slipring should have two wires dedicated to the heated ring. Does anyone have a shop manual to check this?

The next challenge would be to find that pair of wires in the steering column (heated wheel) and splice into them and run two wires to the tranny and connect to the steptronic sensors.

My guess is that as long as the heated wheel does not get activated via single wire on the slipring - this is actually doable.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/556077/

for reference to the BMW post.

If someone here can tell me if this is posbile - Im tempted to be the guinea pig

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not sure if it can be done but confused as to why you would want to do it. These are about as removed from being sports cars as you can get :think: .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question and I would have two answers

1) Well there are situations where I like to down shift - for example when I come to a toll booth here in Miami and I simply prefer to have both hands on the wheel. My other car is an audi allroad which I would also not consider a sports car (also has height adj suspension) and it has shift buttons on the wheel. When I need then which is not all the time, I enjoy them.

I dont think Ill be winning any races in an HSE :) - that being said I like to had vehicle control and I would prefer to have it at my fingertips

2) The other answer is because Id like to. Just like there are people that turn their RRs into cars that cant go offroad, and spend lots of money doing so, its their choice and I respect it. To each his own.

I happen to like to work on my cars both mechanically and electrically (installed rear cam, nav, ipod adapter on my audi) and I think this would be a fun challenge.

Practical - hell no, Fun to do - maybe

Hows that?

Alex

·
Registered
405 Posts
While only semi related, I have found that in situations where I need more acceleration such as getting on the highway, I move the shifter to the left into sport mode which makes a huge difference. It can be done without removing your eyes from the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts