RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed Clear Bra after they've owned the car for a while? So far, the front is pretty clean but I can see it becoming pretty pitted over time. Was wondering if it was a good idea to do the Clear Bra even if the paint is less than stellar underneath.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting one on at all, I've heard they do more harm than good. Dirt gets under it and can cause paint damage. You should check into a 3M strip, it's relatively inexpensive and they come in colors to match or clear.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CB08 said:
I wouldn't recommend putting one on at all, I've heard they do more harm than good. Dirt gets under it and can cause paint damage. You should check into a 3M strip, it's relatively inexpensive and they come in colors to match or clear.
What is this strip you speak of? Have a link? Just tried to google it but not sure what you are talking about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My bad I thought you were talking about the slip on ones. Clearbra and 3M look to be about the same thing.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Make sure the chips are repaired before they apply it. It also depends who's applying it for you. when I did it on my MB the guys airbrushed every little chip (very few) and then applied the clear bra, looked flawless. Whoever did it on my RRS did a pretty good job, except they didn't remove the scratches in the front bumper before applying the clear-bra, so on the right light you can see them, kindda of a bummer but whatever.
I can't imagine owning a car without it. Make sure you get a good reference on an installer, you want somebody who does a ton of them, the dealer might point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CB08 said:
My bad I thought you were talking about the slip on ones. Clearbra and 3M look to be about the same thing.
No worries.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rafa said:
Make sure the chips are repaired before they apply it. It also depends who's applying it for you. when I did it on my MB the guys airbrushed every little chip (very few) and then applied the clear bra, looked flawless. Whoever did it on my RRS did a pretty good job, except they didn't remove the scratches in the front bumper before applying the clear-bra, so on the right light you can see them, kindda of a bummer but whatever.
I can't imagine owning a car without it. Make sure you get a good reference on an installer, you want somebody who does a ton of them, the dealer might point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the input. I'll ask around. I plan on owning this car for about 3-4 years so this should be a decent investment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm interested in getting this done as well, I just don't know what they're going to do around the lettering. Post pictures when it's done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
CB08 said:
I'm interested in getting this done as well, I just don't know what they're going to do around the lettering. Post pictures when it's done.
Same question ... can't figure out how they could go over the letters :think:

·
Registered
670 Posts
JetPilot said:
CB08 said:

They remove them and then re-apply. The old heat gun fishing wire approach

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rafa said:
JetPilot said:
CB08 said:

They remove them and then re-apply. The old heat gun fishing wire approach
I don't think I'm very comfortable with that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
They might make a mask specifically for the RRS in which the logo is already die cutted. That's probably way expensive

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a clear bra , dealer installed, from new. It's die cut around the letters with an acceptable gap . Looks just fine and is fairly invisible. Whole front of car plus side mirrors was like $900.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should have no problem installing a 3M Clear Bra to your vehicle. They can be applied regardless of the age of the vehicle and will work even if your paint is in satisfactory condition. If you are having it installed professionally, they will clean the paintwork to enable a proper adhesion to the surface. I do agree with the others who have said that they addressed the issue of minor scratches or chips prior to the installation of the Clear Bra but I believe that this is only necessary from an aesthetic standpoint. As far is it doing more damage to your vehicle, I have had a great deal of experience with the product, and I can safely say that this is not the case. I have had it applied to several cars including my Range Rover and I have been totally satisfied with the product. The only complaint I have is that if you are not careful when you wax the car, wax can build up where the film forms its free edge and a white buildup will be noticeable especially on a black or dark car. Overall, I think it is a good product that does what it claims.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
116 Posts
The clear material is computer precut to fit around the letters on the hood .
You can always remove it later and apply a new clear shield .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts